Goulburn River Round 2

Ploh

Goulburn River Round 2

Post by Ploh » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:19 pm

Firstly, thanks to all who replied to my last report with tips.
I found a random spot along the Goulburn River on Google maps and picked a spot to fish.
I used a paternoster rig again, but this time with only one hook. I used scrubbies for bait.

I was getting plenty of hits, likely from silver perch picking at the bait.
Eventually the rod bent in half and I reeled in a nice little silver perch (?). Quickly released after a photo.
Next hour was filled with plenty of bites but no hook ups.
I decided to hook on as much worm as possible and gave it a cast.
Not long after the rod doubled over and I managed to reel in a nice 28cm Murray Cod. A quick photo and it was back in the water.
Dropped another fish in the next hour and packed up when I eventually snagged the line.

I'm not sure if I'm missing a lot of potential hook ups because I just leave the rod on the stand and sit back. Should I be striking or just letting the fish hook themselves? I always see the tip bend when they go at it but if I strike then, they just scatter. And what should I leave my drag on? Tight or loose?
Hope someone can shed light on these basic things that I have trouble with.

Cheers guys!
IMG_20190309_144716_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190309_162854_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190309_152352_HDR.jpg

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Goulburn River Round 2

Post by Lightningx » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:29 pm

Nice report and pics.
Cheers :thumbsup:

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:50 pm

Good report mate and congrats on the fish.

If you are getting a lot of little nibble indications in your rod tip, it could be freshwater shrimp. On the topic, get a shrimp net if you dont have and start using when you go fishing.

If you arent using them already id recommend circle hooks. Also if using circles you want to make sure your "strike" is a controlled, steady and slow pace lift and not the super fast cliche pull back. The circle will rip out with that approach, but on a steady lift more often than not you'll get a perfect lip pin thanks to the purposeful design of the circle hook.

Ive personally never played with the drag when bait fishing - ive usually just managed hook ups by how i leave the line when its out. If wind and river flow are low, ill leave a droop in the line and watch that for bites, but more often than not, ive got the line pulled so any bite will be seen in the rod tip. Loose line technique ill strike as the line tightens, tight line will pick-up rod on first bite indication without disrupting the line tension, get some loose line between my fingers then strike when i feel it being fed through my fingers. You may know this stuff already tho.

Good luck on the next trip!

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:24 am

Great report mate
Glad you get a few fish

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:34 am

I like to use running sinker more than paternoster. I feel like those nibbles are caused by the fish feeling the weight of the sinker and they let go the bait/hook.
Running sinker gives more time for us to strike before the fish letting the bait go.
Did you strike when the rod was still bent? Maybe just a small fish took the 'tail' of the bait but not the hook.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

russellh2
Has liked: 1 time

Post by russellh2 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:59 pm

Have always used running sinker rig on Goulburn. After sinker has come to rest on the bottom, Set drag to minimum, and pull out about 6 feet of line from the reel and allow it to settle in the water below the reel, make sure it cannot tangle in grass etc. - Sit back and watch the line where it enters the water, movement indicates bites, also belly in the line - movement indicates bites.

Return to “Northern Victoria Fishing Reports”