A report about...nothing!

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Re: A report about...nothing!

Post by happyfriggincamper » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:23 pm

Bad luck Jim - there is always the serenity thats infinitely better than sitting between 4 walls and under a roof.

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:00 pm

That's odd, usually carps aren't that fussy, especially in weather like that. Looks like a great spot to chill and relax.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Ploh

Post by Ploh » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:53 pm

You really need to just pick up some Nathalia worms from the servo to end your fishing drought...

April Fool
Has liked: 223 times

Post by April Fool » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:47 pm

Ploh wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:53 pm
You really need to just pick up some Nathalia worms from the servo to end your fishing drought...
I think a change in location may also help! The baits I am using now have worked well before. My main goal at the moment is to gather yabbies for bait to be used in the Goulburn when it settles and I will put in an adhoc effort to catch a fish while I am yabbying now. It is cheaper to buy yabbies...or any form of bait but I like to collect it myself. And on another note, a couple times when I fished with others in the same system, they tried worms and it was non-stop bites! But they landed nothing on them...may have been small fish or crusteceans. I am happy to endure a slow period with the fishing although it is rather surprising how slow it is!
Seb85 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:00 pm
..........................................Looks like a great spot to chill and relax.
It looks decieving...I was sitting about 10 metres away from the GV Hwy! A major truck route...although it is a 60 kmhr zone here so that quietens them down a bit!
cheers
Jim

April Fool

Post by April Fool » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:14 pm

Inspired by....somebody I know (won't say mate) having some success in the smaller channels with cod, I did a spur of the moment, unarmed recon of the small channels I used to fish as a teen...all them years ago...and about 80 less kg's ago!!!! Of all the regulators I looked at, I found a few to return too.

Basic requirements were being able to park the car off the road and for the water level to be close to the top of the bank. One more trip to the creek and a couple missions to the channels prior to the end of the irrigation season (mid - May) and then attention turns to the Goulburn!!!!

I am that motivated I am going to try and dig some bardies this weekend! I figure a good time to use them as bait is in the winter when there aren't too many active bait stealing pr!cks around!
Cheers
Team Bender
Looking forward to winter!

April Fool

Post by April Fool » Sun May 12, 2019 3:52 pm

With the irrigation season closing this coming week, I thought I may as well give it a go so have had a couple quick sessions over the last week without luck. I left the bait rods at home! Whilst the flow has slowed down, the water quality is good. First to be given a run was a spinnerbait fly combo. One of the local tackle store people told me to try trailing a fly behind a lure. I have done similar things before. Whilst I had no luck, it does look great in the water and I am sure it will work.
SB_F 50.jpg
Another lure I tried was the Custom Crafted Fish Stik. These are impressive! Made in Wagga I think...great timber lures with a great action!
CC Fish Stik 50.jpg
Also given a run for the first time was a Mattlure 'Tournament'...pre - rigged soft plastic I guess you could call it! Made in the US for Largemouth bass. I would highly recommend it for chasing largemouths!
Mattlure Tournament 50.jpg
This looks very impressive in the water! At around 65 grams it was starting to reach the upper levels of the casting range of the rod I was using.
Runoff 50.jpg
Not that it states a casting range! Last but not least, so far I am loving the Curado K as well! This is the first time I have used left handed baitcasts and am getting used to them.
K 50.jpg
So, despite not catching anything I have a lot of faith in the lures used. The channels usually slow down fish wise prior to the season closure but I am very confident that these lures will do well when the cod are active. All going well this week will I do a short trip chasing yabbies and carp and then I will turn my attention to the Goulburn.
cheers
Team Bender

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Sun May 12, 2019 4:53 pm

Good informative post Jim and a nice selection of lures, no fish that session but at least you give it a shot, cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Fri May 17, 2019 6:36 pm

Why breams in Docklands and yarra (around Docklands) are so bloody hard to catch on lures! Making me so f*ckin angry!

I work in Docklands, convenient to fish there. Bait fishing for breams are soooooo easy, then they're 1000x harder on lures.

I caught breams in Docklands years ago on TT switch blade with 10 lb fluorocarbon leader during a wet spring evening, reckon it was a pure luck. In the last two years I've been trying to crack the code. In the last 4 months especially since my office moved to Docklands.

I read all the posts, articles from pros, heaps of videos, used everything suggested. 4 lb fluorocarbon leader 6ft long, cranka crab, micro vibe, light weighted plastic, high tide, low tide, run in/out, new/full moon, fast/slow retrieve, you name it... Best i got were few taps.

I've done probably 15-20 trips (or more, lost count after 15) trying to get breams on lure, a lot of hours, a lot of lures lost. I don't know what I do wrong. Everytime I'm about to give up, it's like let's give it one more trip. End up just another donut trip.

I'm going mental. One or two more donut trip, I swear I will have a good chance to break my rod and done fishing for yarra/docks breams for good!

Phew* that's a relief.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Fri May 17, 2019 7:41 pm

Seb85 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 6:36 pm
Why breams in Docklands and yarra (around Docklands) are so bloody hard to catch on lures! Making me so f*ckin angry!

I work in Docklands, convenient to fish there. Bait fishing for breams are soooooo easy, then they're 1000x harder on lures.

I caught breams in Docklands years ago on TT switch blade with 10 lb fluorocarbon leader during a wet spring evening, reckon it was a pure luck. In the last two years I've been trying to crack the code. In the last 4 months especially since my office moved to Docklands.

I read all the posts, articles from pros, heaps of videos, used everything suggested. 4 lb fluorocarbon leader 6ft long, cranka crab, micro vibe, light weighted plastic, high tide, low tide, run in/out, new/full moon, fast/slow retrieve, you name it... Best i got were few taps.

I've done probably 15-20 trips (or more, lost count after 15) trying to get breams on lure, a lot of hours, a lot of lures lost. I don't know what I do wrong. Everytime I'm about to give up, it's like let's give it one more trip. End up just another donut trip.

I'm going mental. One or two more donut trip, I swear I will have a good chance to break my rod and done fishing for yarra/docks breams for good!

Phew* that's a relief.

Sebby, I'm throwing you a hug

Credit to all you lure fishermen, I gave up years ago. I still have a few lures and I am going to try these crankas when I get one.

IMG_20190517_160755.jpg

lure.PNG
lure.PNG (167.29 KiB) Viewed 3123 times

But bait is less frustrating and I need less frustrating , , , , so do people in ear shot of my loud offensive adjectives, verbs, adverbs, pronouns and of-course , , , , solid reverberating nouns , , , , telling the fish to , , , , go multiply themselves , , , , well words to that effect :-D

A report about nothing , , , , is actually a report about a lot , , , , if you look past the fish.

Cheers, Bug

April Fool

Post by April Fool » Sun May 26, 2019 2:50 pm

Not much has been happening in Bender land of late! My favorite channel has 'flatlined' since the irrigation season came to a close.
main flow.PNG
The daily peaks and troughs have gone. At its peak during the season it would deliver close to 2000 megs in a day. Funny how I always say I do not like fishing a dropping river yet here you get a bit of everything in a day and it doesn't seem to bother me or the fish. On saying that, the depth doesn't change too much with the dramatic change in flow because of the regulators.

The Goulburn here has settled somewhat so that along with the Nine Mile Creek (chasing carp holed up in the remaining holes), Seven Creeks (redfin) and Spring Creek (f*** all maybe...I myself haven't caught a thing in there but my mate got a Blackfish) shall draw my attention over the next few months. May try Hughes Creek as well for a return visit to the area. I haven't fished it but after spending 2 days in the vicinity with the CFA I decided I would return in more greener and happier times. Now it more a case of trying out all the new gear I have and finding suitable water to do it in ( I think my Calcutta Conquest 300 may look a bit out of place in Strathbogie) whilst avoiding relevant closed seasons.
cheers
Team Bender
Nothing better to do at the moment!

Return to “Northern Victoria Fishing Reports”