Metre Boof from the Goulburn!!!

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Metre Boof from the Goulburn!!!

Post by Truedogz » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:13 pm

Coming home from Shep this arvo I had the rod in the truck and hit the Goulburn River with surface lures about 5.30. Recently I have been targeting ambush spots out in the middle of the river. This works a treat up north with Barra etc and I have had a fair bit of success with it lately with cod in fast water:
the log.jpg
It doesn't matter how fast the water is flowing, the cod will attack a noisy surface lure. You just have to wind fast! This pic gives you some idea of how quick the water was moving, it was not far off the middle of the river:
ambush spot.jpg
About third cast in the fast water he hit. It was broad daylight, about 5.40, I saw him come up like jaws and an almighty BOOOOM! :super:

He did some death rolls on top in the fast water and I struggled to hold him. Then he went down deep - I thought I was snagged but put the pressure on and he moved. Eventually with a lot of pressure he came into the bank, did one last roll and beached himself! With all the rolling only one hook held:
one hook.jpg
A really chunky fish; I never lifted him so I don't know the weight, but heavy for its length:
beached.jpg
I tried to line up the rod with the tail under water to gauge the length. I've put a tape on the rod at home and best estimate is 103 cm. Definitely over a metre, could be 105, I'll settle for 103:
about 103 cm.jpg
I pushed his head back towards the water and with one swish of the tail he was gone and I was drenched!!

Here I was thinking to get a metre cod off the top I would have to head to Mulwala or the Murray but I nailed one twenty minutes from home. Years ago I caught one a fair bit bigger trolling, and have got another one about a metre on bait. But this is my first metre cod off the top. Hopefully there's more to come and some in store too for my partner in crime Davo.

I am just stoked. :-D

Truedogz

Duffman

Re: Metre Boof from the Goulburn!!!

Post by Duffman » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:31 pm

Nice fish. Spectacular action off the surface. :thumbsup:

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:34 pm

Top fish Will, well done and I believe you when you say your stoked, :a_goodjob: :victory: cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:36 pm

that's a memorable boof
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

rodderslw

Post by rodderslw » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:39 pm

Is this downstream of Nagambie? Great catch! How many kilo rod do you use?

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:41 pm

awesome fish must have pulled like a train

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:43 pm

Solid fish
Well done mate

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:03 pm

Always enjoy reading your reports. Well done on this fish.

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Post by Truedogz » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:20 pm

rodderslw wrote:Is this downstream of Nagambie? Great catch! How many kilo rod do you use?
Yes, towards Murchison, in an area that gets a fair bit of fishing pressure. There would have been plenty of anglers around over easter - its just a different approach tempted this fish.

The rod is a Veritas rated 5-8 kg, the line was Super PE8 rated 40 pounds. I've worked a lot in fish hatcheries and weighed a fair few cod. I'd say this fish was close to 60 pounds.

I've had 60 cm cod take line off the drag but only a few metres, and the 79 cm on the cod trip took a bit more but this fish had the reel screaming for a while. Big turn around on top with the hit, several death rolls with head shaking - in fast water - then dived deep taking lots of line.
davek wrote:Top fish Will, well done and I believe you when you say your stoked
Your turns coming mate! I've had a fair bit of work so haven't caught up with you since the last outing. I did a bit of scouting on the weekend, tonight was spur of the moment on the way home from work - you will know where I was tonight. You also know I'll risk doughnuts to learn something, if you don't take risks you don't learn.

I'm really investigating places and strategies for next season, looking forward to the trips with you to come. :cheers:

Best Wishes

Truedogz

ecoronad
Has liked: 1 time

Post by ecoronad » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:30 pm

It's funny how twenty-thirty years ago, this report would have been the precipice for a groundbreaking technique in fishing for murray cod that would have been published in a national fishing magazine. There would have been a stampede of mad keen lure tossers scrambling to get on to it before it becomes yesterday's news. But of course, printed magazines are just about yesterday's news.

It's now gotten to the point where I expect at least a fortnightly report of your surface fishing escapades. So glad that you continue to share with us; members of this forum probably don't realise how lucky they are. And hope that the stampede doesn't hold you back from posting more. IF only i live closer to the Goulburn or Broken for that matter.

Return to “Northern Victoria Fishing Reports”