Metre Boof from the Goulburn!!!

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Re: Metre Boof from the Goulburn!!!

Post by Truedogz » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:52 pm

ecoronad wrote:It's now gotten to the point where I expect at least a fortnightly report of your surface fishing escapades.
Thanks mate, I enjoy all forms of fishing and like sharing knowledge. I grew up in Victoria catching trout on fly as well as natives including Murray cod and trout cod on surface lures. I spent twenty years in far north Queensland catching Barra, jungle perch, saratoga and sooty grunter - but chose to come back here two years ago. The freshwater fishing stacks up well and the camping options are much better here than up north. Its a sentimental journey going to old haunts and even using the old tackle of my youth.

Since my return I have had to relearn some old tricks with native fish plus learn some new ones with modern tackle. I am happy to share what I learn. I've caught barra over a metre, they fight better than Murray cod, but the surface take of a good cod is about as spectacular as it gets in freshwater in this country. But I get great pleasure catching fish on bait and more challenging targets like Macquarie perch or bass on flies.

All surface fishing is great and I hope to get back up into the high country in the next few weeks to again chase trout on dry flies.

Best Wishes

Truedogz

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:02 pm

davek wrote:Top fish Will, well done and I believe you when you say your stoked, :a_goodjob: :victory: cheers davo
Thats a awsome fish will

Thats at least 50 pds and in fantastic condiction.

I got a 70cm last night on a surface lure but that fish looked tiny next to that beast.

Sensantional work.....
.bm

rodderslw

Post by rodderslw » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:30 pm

Truedogz wrote:
rodderslw wrote:Is this downstream of Nagambie? Great catch! How many kilo rod do you use?
Yes, towards Murchison, in an area that gets a fair bit of fishing pressure.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge Truedogz. Really appreciate it.

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:10 pm

Awesome to see you get that fish Truedogz - couldnt have gone to a more genuine bloke. Certainly earned and deserved - quite a list of reasons why i see it being the case...the hours you put in, the knowledge you share, what you give back to the system/community and your overall passion. Great stuff - echoing the appreciation and genuine excitement for you that other forum members have shown, cheers

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:56 pm

Top report mate.
That’s an awesome fish. That Boof would have been so exciting to see.
Nice work :thumbsup:

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Post by Truedogz » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:17 am

happyfriggincamper wrote:Awesome to see you get that fish Truedogz
Mate, there is a lot of luck involved. With that fish what I am proud about was I tried something different, targeting the fast water in the middle, and did it from the bank standing on a log (I nearly got pulled in by the hit!). So many captures of metre cod are from boats in places like Mulwala or the Murray. A big advantage of a boat is you can work the fish out to the middle away from the snags. Last night I had to work the fish through snags. It just shows that the average Joe can do it without anything fancy.
barra mick wrote:I got a 70cm last night on a surface lure but that fish looked tiny next to that beast
Thanks BM, I know people on this site regard you as an outstanding angler. I know you've got a 90 from the Goulburn this season; we are both lucky to live close to the river. The boof of any cod of 60 cm or greater is amazing and that 70 cm would have been lots of fun. I got a 70 cm from the weir last week. I took Davo back there the following night but fishing activity had spooked the fish, so we only got a couple of small boofs. We have got a fair bit to learn about targeting them with surface lures in the weir.

Funny thing is the day before I ordered some upgraded tackle for targeting big cod on big lures. On the cod trip I showed people the Veritas swimbait rod I had bought for chucking heavy surface lures. Well I have bought a Shimano Tranx reel to go with it. My thinking is to target the bigger fish in the Murray and Eildon in the cold evenings/mornings to come. Davo, you better get some warm clothing! Blokes like Ray Clifford and Anthony Wesley catch quite a number of good cod from the Murray in late autumn/early winter. I've even bought a balaclava and possum gloves to keep warm. I shouldn't have bothered, I got a big one on what I already had! :rofl:

If you want some idea of what it was like watch the clip in the link below. The second fish was 112 cm taken by Ray Clifford. My fight lasted longer than the clip as I was in fast water and the fish went to the bottom. Also Ray's fish was caught in colder weather when they are a bit slower. But the noise (and my reactions) were pretty much identical. The second clip is Anthony Wesley's captures from the Murray last season.

Enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slXHZH41M6Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SM6iWaXOpQ

Truedogz

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:39 am

Cracking fish will, well done !
Have you thought about doing some video of these boofs, so the not so lucky ones like me can see it.
Cheers

Brownie

Post by Brownie » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:09 am

What a catch, some great info in there too mate! :thumbsup:

Lajon

Post by Lajon » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:29 pm

Always enjoy your posts mate, well done. :thumbsup: Cracker fish

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:25 pm