Metre Boof from the Goulburn!!!

Paulanderson
Has liked: 59 times

Re: Metre Boof from the Goulburn!!!

Post by Paulanderson » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:52 pm

Great fish from the surface Will - just think about how many lures that cod must have seen go past and ignored over the years!

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:59 pm

Truedogz wrote:
happyfriggincamper wrote:Awesome to see you get that fish Truedogz
Mate, there is a lot of luck involved. With that fish what I am proud about was I tried something different, targeting the fast water in the middle, and did it from the bank standing on a log (I nearly got pulled in by the hit!). So many captures of metre cod are from boats in places like Mulwala or the Murray. A big advantage of a boat is you can work the fish out to the middle away from the snags. Last night I had to work the fish through snags. It just shows that the average Joe can do it without anything fancy.
barra mick wrote:I got a 70cm last night on a surface lure but that fish looked tiny next to that beast
Thanks BM, I know people on this site regard you as an outstanding angler. I know you've got a 90 from the Goulburn this season; we are both lucky to live close to the river. The boof of any cod of 60 cm or greater is amazing and that 70 cm would have been lots of fun. I got a 70 cm from the weir last week. I took Davo back there the following night but fishing activity had spooked the fish, so we only got a couple of small boofs. We have got a fair bit to learn about targeting them with surface lures in the weir.

Funny thing is the day before I ordered some upgraded tackle for targeting big cod on big lures. On the cod trip I showed people the Veritas swimbait rod I had bought for chucking heavy surface lures. Well I have bought a Shimano Tranx reel to go with it. My thinking is to target the bigger fish in the Murray and Eildon in the cold evenings/mornings to come. Davo, you better get some warm clothing! Blokes like Ray Clifford and Anthony Wesley catch quite a number of good cod from the Murray in late autumn/early winter. I've even bought a balaclava and possum gloves to keep warm. I shouldn't have bothered, I got a big one on what I already had! :rofl:

If you want some idea of what it was like watch the clip in the link below. The second fish was 112 cm taken by Ray Clifford. My fight lasted longer than the clip as I was in fast water and the fish went to the bottom. Also Ray's fish was caught in colder weather when they are a bit slower. But the noise (and my reactions) were pretty much identical. The second clip is Anthony Wesley's captures from the Murray last season.

Enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slXHZH41M6Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SM6iWaXOpQ

Truedogz
HaHa, already got that sorted, :-D cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

Jay375

Post by Jay375 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:33 pm

What a beauty

Murlz
Has liked: 60 times

Post by Murlz » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:49 pm

Awesome fish there ol mate. Thank you for the report. Might try a litle surface busting myself this weekend. You Sir Inspired Me.
:cheers: :water:
Murlz
“I have fished through fishless days that I remember happily without regret.”

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Post by Truedogz » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:51 pm

I have just got home from work. I didn't sleep well last night, it must have been the adrenalin rush from that fish. I will never forget that hit off the surface.
purple5ive wrote: Have you thought about doing some video of these boofs, so the not so lucky ones like me can see it.
Cheers
Mate, I'm not that sophisticated - I still use Mitchell reels and split cane rods! Honestly, the clip of Ray Clifford with his 112 cm fish was a carbon copy of what happened last night - the violence of the take, the sound, the tail coming out of the water and the water boiling. It was EXACTLY like that, I could hear the sound of the hit echoing off the riverbank along the river. I think I even said 'oh my god' as Ray did, and I know I said 'hang on' when I got it back up to the surface and saw only one hook attached.

My boofing is going to be curtailed for the next few weeks as I have a lot of work and am working up til 7 pm - I need the money. I'll try and slip a bit in ;-) .

The season for getting numbers of cod off the top is drawing to a close as the water temperatures are starting to fall. So I'd suggest if you want to try do so in the next fortnight - just be prepared to not get anything, have plan B to drown a bait to make the trip worthwhile.

Persistence is the key.

Best Wishes

Truedogz

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:46 pm

Haha that's cool man. You can borrow my gopro if you want to have a crack at it. Jusy record stuff and ill do tbe rest of the editing.
Let me know if your keen. Recording is only press of a button.
I would do it but cod will have to wait till next season for me. It's not on my high priority list
Cheers

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:07 am

Great fish Will, might have to make time to come up your way and get stuck into them, been way too long for me.
purple5ive wrote:Haha that's cool man. You can borrow my gopro if you want to have a crack at it. Jusy record stuff and ill do tbe rest of the editing.
Let me know if your keen. Recording is only press of a button.
I would do it but cod will have to wait till next season for me. It's not on my high priority list
Cheers
If you think bream on surface is fun you've got something coming, also your priorities are all backwards :tongue:
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:21 am

How much bigger so they grow?

bilby

Post by bilby » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:24 am

An extraordinary effort - what a fish! It's always so satisfying when you try a new technique or location (or both) and come up with an amazing result like that. Well done, Truedogz!

greggo
Has liked: 5 times

Post by greggo » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:43 am

Truedogz wrote: - the violence of the take, the sound, the tail coming out of the water and the water boiling. It was EXACTLY like that, I could hear the sound of the hit echoing off the riverbank along the river.
I know exactly what you mean. I hooked a 96cm one night on the kayak, in the upper Ovens River area.

It was almost pitch black, about 11pm, dead still and quiet. I had cast about twenty times at a snag that I was sure held fish, on the 21st cast he hit. It scared the absolute bejeezes out of me. It sounded like someone had thrown in an open fridge into the water - but no hookup. Next cast he did the same, but this time I had the hookup. I ended up having to back the kayak up to shallower water so I could get out and fight the beast landbased.

Everything you mentioned about the violence and noise etc. cant be described adequately, it's an experience that will never be forgotten. Like you said, "persistence is the key".

Thanks for sharing your story, you've got me fired again up for some skinny water Cod.

Cheers, Greggo.

Return to “Northern Victoria Fishing Reports”