Murchison

Sinsemilla

Re: Murchison

Post by Sinsemilla » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:36 pm

Sinsemilla wrote:What are you aiming for next now you've got your 50? 50 over 50 i hope!
Truwdogz wrote:Anthony, I just enjoy catching them and 90% of the time target them exclusively with surface lures. I've caught big cod in the past and now want to catch some better ones off the top. The challenge now is to learn enough about catching them here in the Goulburn Weir that it becomes a reliable method. Also the other big challenge is getting them off the top in Eildon - not many have done that.

The Goulburn Weir will never become as good a cod fishery as Mulwala. :( Its just too cool and made worse by 'environmental' releases from the bottom of Eildon in summer which chills the lake and really depresses the fish activity. :down:

Best Wishes

Truedogz
That's what its all about Truedogz! After my some what short fishing career compared to you blokes I've also come to that point where i get a lot of satisfaction with "working an area out" and knowing you can go there put the time in, and the casts in the right spots and you can produce 99% of the time.

I completely understand.. The "environmental" releases of water ruin my spots also. We can just keep persevering and keep producing the best we can!

Cheers

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Post by Truedogz » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:37 pm

I was coming back through Murchison this arvo so decided to have a flick with surface lures.

The Goulburn is the highest its been with a lot of irrigation water being pushed through. This makes fishing very difficult and the fish tend to sit closer to the bank.

I picked up one cod and hooked another similar sized fish:
51 cm cod.jpg
It is important to conceal yourself when fishing in these conditions as with the fish close in and with clear water they are easily spooked. My strategy is to fish downstream of structure and work the lure close in, parallel to the bank. The one I landed tonight came from these logs about a metre from the edge. I was casting from about 20 metres downstream:
log.jpg
Concealment is why I wear the bland green clothing when I go surface fishing. I reckon if they can see the lure they can see me too if I stand out from the background.

Best Wishes

Truedogz

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:22 pm

Well done mate :thumbsup:

Return to “Northern Victoria Fishing Reports”