Trout fishing day trip on the Ovens River

Rod Bender

Trout fishing day trip on the Ovens River

Post by Rod Bender » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:57 am

Hi All,
Went for a day trip to try the Ovens River around Porepunkah and upstream. Worked late the previous night so didn't get away too early. First five minutes had a couple 'follows' of trout around the 30cm + size on Vibrax spinners. Thought it was going to be a good day but things went quite. Hooked and lost one small trout which 'spat' the hook within seconds. When I am serious trout fishing I usually take the trebles of and use singles being careful that the lure still swims properly. I hadn't bothered for this trip. Then things went more 'pear - shaped'! Sore knees made it difficult and for unknown reasons couldn't even remember how to tie a 'loop knot'! Fumbling / dropping lures when tying knots. Loosing lures which I always do anyway in the river.

With some advice I had found a spot which had some light on the river from street lights. I had intentions of fishing after dark so stopped to cook. Was thinking of going home after eating as I had had enough. I decided I may as well have a go. Tried in the ambient light for a while with no luck however it was rather pleasant there. About to go home and thought I would try one last hole where I could actually sit down. Then I dropped 3 trout in about 10 minutes! Some were decent size (for river fish) as well. Perhaps up to 40cm! Actually did get one out but as I left my landing net in the car (didn't think I would need it) I had trouble handling the fish in the poor light and it flipped off the barbless hooks and back in so I'm not counting it. Couldn't even see if it was a 'brown' or a 'rainbow'. So I intend on paying a return visit to this location a bit better prepared!

Lures used with success (if you could call it that): Black /orange dot Vibrax had some interest showed. 'Muddler' pattern 5cm Jointed Rapala drew all the attention after dark.
Lures that did not interest the fish: pink / brass blade Roostertail, Orange / brass Vibrax spinner and after dark, 5 cm 'Rainbow Trout' Jointed Rapala did not raise an eyebrow from the fish!

Things I have learnt:
Never ever give up.
Always pay attention to detail regardless of how bad the fishing is.
Always be prepared and have everything you may require.

thanks
Jim
Attachments
ovens1s.jpg
ovens1s.jpg (243.44 KiB) Viewed 1483 times
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

drew 2

Re: Trout fishing day trip on the Ovens River

Post by drew 2 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:43 pm

Great report Jim :thumbsup: sounds like you had a good time despite loosing the fish,its always the same, leave something behind and you can bet you'll need it.Better luck on your return trip mate.

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:56 pm

nice location and good report jim, better luck next time, cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

hangsta*

Post by hangsta* » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:53 pm

fished there many times a while back with a mate who had a property there it was always hard work but the scenery is great.a lot of fish were escapees from the trout farm there but we managed some nice browns.you can tell the farm fish by the flat bottom part of the tail.i dont recall seeing anyone else fishing that river then, talking 15 year ago.but we used to spend the whole day spinning with celta's of various colours and size and the rapala small rainbow pattern also floating mudeyes downsteam all these methods produced some quality fish..cheeres pete

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:22 pm

Great report Jim :thumbsup:

Cheers Steve
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

Scarecrow

Post by Scarecrow » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:49 pm

Great detailed report Jim, do keep em coming.

Lure colour info is always a useful reference, sad that you lost a few, but they will be waiting for you next time.

Maybe vary your lure retrieve, I find they prefer a faster retrieve at times, I have seen a few shocked faces from other anglers when I have caught trout on rapid retrieves. If they want the lure they will do anything to hit it, it's amazing how fast they can swim. Other times a slow retrieve is better, or just vary it erratically.

The use of scent on lures is always an added bonus, though some anglers beg to differ, but I prefer to add some spice, makes me feel a bit more comfortable, and doesn't put the fish off.

Having barbless hooks is very sporting of you, but sadly, they do tend to leap free often, but like you, I reckon it's more fun.

Tight Lines

Rob

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:30 pm

That's a beautiful bit of river mate, very much my style!
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 91

Longtail : 1

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:13 am

Well I was a bad boy that night!!!! The great little hole where I could sit down and had all the action - I didn't see the 'No Fishing' rule on the bottom of a sign I was looking at!!! Pretty stupid sign when most of the rules are clearly highlighted near the top of the sign with a few more 'hidden' down the bottom. When I told my DPI mate where I was fishing he told me about the sign. He had fished there once when he noticed the signs on the way back to his car! I didn't believe him to start with until i received an email from him this week with a pic of the sign! Really disappointed that I have to take this one hole of my list!
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

Scarecrow

Post by Scarecrow » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:41 pm

That's depressing Jim, most of the channel gate areas within the Shep region are no fishing zones now too. It makes you wanna be a current day 'Robin Hood'!

Rob

fishingking

Post by fishingking » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:52 pm

hey mate,
what camp site was this next to?
"A BAD DAY OUT FISHING IS A GOOD DAY OUT FISHING"
BREAM- 30CM
BARRACOUTTA- 60CM
BROWN TROUT- 54CM

Return to “Northern Victoria Fishing Reports”