Nagambie Boof

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Nagambie Boof

Post by 4liters » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:25 pm

davek wrote:
4liters wrote:
Truedogz wrote:
4liters wrote:Is there a particular depth they like? I know from previous trip the lakes have wide expanses of 1-1.5m deep lagoons that are full of drowned trees, is that the sort of area you'd find cod or do they prefer it a bit deeper?
You don't hear of many cod taken in the Goulburn Weir on surface lures. It is a developing fishery and most people use bait or hard body lures. The lake has nowhere near the density of cod that the rivers north of it contain, and not the numbers present in Mulwala. It is also best fished from a tinny as bank access can be difficult but cod (and yellas) can be caught off the bank. In fact they have been caught off the boardwalk in the middle of Nagambie. :rofl:

In general it is easier to catch cod off the top in rivers than lakes as the fish are more concentrated. Also river habitats tend to be shallower.

I know of one or two people who have caught cod off the top in the weir, from boats. They target snag piles and logs usually near the bank. A dozen flicks at a location and they move on. My tiny is out of action but being close to home I've got nothing to lose having a crack from the bank which I have done and had success. In general the best surface fishing is in water that is 2 metres deep or less but they will also come up from deeper water too. The best habitat to get a cod off the top is a river but as I have demonstrated you can do it in the Goulburn Weir - particularly if you have a boat.

Best Wishes

Truedogz
Thanks for the info, I might check out a river instead. I’ll probably take the yak which should give me pretty good access once I find a spot to put itin.
Can help with that when the time comes, cheers davo
Cheers!
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:39 pm

A few pointers from Dave & Will
You can't miss

Cheers Gra

I still reckon Major Mitchell will produce
Uncle Dave disagrees

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Post by Truedogz » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:05 am

I went out again and didn't expect to get even a sniff with it being very windy making it more difficult for the fish to spot the surface lures. Plus I thought the cool change would shut the fish down - I was wrong.

My first surprise was when a yellowbelly come out from a log I was next to and hit the big surface lure! It didn't hook up but I got a good look. I've caught yellas on surface lures in Queensland but not down here and certainly not on big surface lures. I thought it was an aberration.

Half an hour later I got smashed by another yella which this time got hooked up. I managed to beach him - a good fish at least 45 cm long - but he was pinned by only a single hook and flicked off as I was getting the lip grips in so no pic. It proved the first fish was no fluke.

A short time later I picked up this trouty about 30-35 cm long:
local trouty.jpg
Finally after dark another small cod hit the lure several times, got hooked and then fell off at the waters edge.

It just shows the surprises that happen when you have a line in the water.

Best Wishes

Truedogz

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:35 am

Nice work.
Sounds like another good session :thumbsup:

Truedogz

Post by Truedogz » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:48 am

I went out again last night, only a few km from my house. No boofs in twilight but had success after dark. Had one boof that didn't come back and another that had several boofs near my feet but didn't hook up. I did manage to land one though:
March 1.jpg
I suspect all three fish were of similar size (about 40-45 cm) going on the noise made. This is the most common size of cod here from the recent stockings. No yellas last night. I am putting in a bit of effort near home with surface lures to work out the patterns to make it a reliable method - with increasing success as the last three outings I have landed fish. Shallow water with lots of timber is important. I've learnt a few other things too.

While there is better fishing further afield both in numbers and size (I had 3 fish interested in 3 hours last night) its great having fun close to home.

Best Wishes

Truedogz

feralhunter

Post by feralhunter » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:51 am

Good report as always Truedogz.May I ask what surface lures your using?I see BCF have 2 for 1 on the savage 3 d rats and ducks.Seen videos on youtube they look the goods.Any info appreciated.

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:34 pm

Another nice fish mate, :thumbsup: cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:20 pm

Nice one truedogz :thumbsup:

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:21 pm

Getting a few boofs for an old bloke.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Truedogz

Post by Truedogz » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:31 pm

feralhunter wrote:May I ask what surface lures your using?I see BCF have 2 for 1 on the savage 3 d rats and ducks.
The lures to use depend very much on where you are going to fish. As a novice I DEFINITELY wouldn't start using the rats and ducks though.

40 years ago when peple like Rod Harrison, Gordon Winter and myself were chasing surface cod the lures to choose from was pretty much restricted to floppys and jitterbugs. Today there is a much bigger range which fall into a few categories namely paddlers (eg Koolabung cod walker/cracker), fizzers, wakebaits, buzzbaits and soft plastics. They all have their strengths and weaknesses.

A very important consideration is the size of the lure. If you are targetting cod in modest sized rivers lures of about 120 mm will catch more fish as the average size is smaller compared to say a lake like Mulwala or the middle/lower Murray River. Where there are bigger cod or you need to cast further bigger lures in the 150 to 250 mm range are the go.

Be aware also that the tackle must vary according to the size of the lures. I've got some big heavy lures but get a very sore arm casting them on a short rod suited to river bank fishing. For serious lake fishing from the shore a longer rod is an advantage (I used to have one for fishing for barra up north and I am buying one now for cod in lakes to save my shoulder).

Robbie Alexander has a few instructional clips and this one is a very important one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YLswhaBaNs

I carry a few different lures with me and I am experimenting with a few under different conditions and comparing a few brands too.

For someone starting out I would suggest the following style of lures as a basic set. 1. A smaller paddler like the Koolabung cod walker; 2. A moderate size jointed paddler like a cod cracker or codzilla; 3. a fizzing/buzzing type lure - there are spinnerbait-type fizzers and the pompadour is a combination paddler/fizzer (a favourite of Davo's). For each of these three types have a dark coloured one and another that is light coloured. For 1. and 2. I have some Koolabung brand lures but some other versions from Taylor and Mantis are as good and other makes are perhaps even better. Make sure any lures you buy have top notch hooks.

Thats 6 lures that might cost about $150 - 300 if you are going to have a serious go.

If you are just sticking your toe in the water and want one lure something like a cod cracker is the way I would go in rivers or a codzilla in Lake Mulwala.

Best Wishes

Truedogz

Return to “Northern Victoria Fishing Reports”