Corryong

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Corryong

Post by Truedogz » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:57 pm

After the great fishing I had in Omeo I headed towards Corryong to fish a bigger stream. I used the same strategy - get to the last point of public access and then do a lot of walking:
camp.jpg
This stream is quite large, with some big holes and dense vegetation. The only access is by wading the river:
stream.jpg
I headed off upstream fishing for about three hours till dark then wading back to camp using a headlamp. The first night I used flies and got a few small ones, like this rainbow:
rainbow.jpg
It was quite apparent that even at this altitude stream temperatures were fairly warm and the trout were doing through what I call the dog days of January - they feed for brief periods in the twilight and remain quiet for much of the day. The only things that brings them out of their lethargy are a change in weather promoting a big insect hatch, like ants, rain flushing the stream or the appearance of grasshoppers.

Having checked out the stream the previous night I knew where the better holes were. I targeted those spots using a different strategy - soft plastics, worked in under the logs. The fishing was hard work but I picked a couple of quality browns. One spot was this hole bewteen runs which had a huge log in it:
nice hole.jpg
I extracted this 45+ cm brown which was built like a torpedo! It lept into the air twice then took off downstream into the rapids and I followed him. Then he went back upstream into the pool and twice went under the log - on both occasions I managed to extract him and finally landed him:
45cm brown.jpg
In two days I caught 6 trout (compare that to one session a few days earlier when I got 21) but of the six three were 40 cm or better.

And all were released to fight another day.

Best Wishes

Truedogz

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Re: Corryong

Post by davek » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:31 am

Another good effort Will, you put in some hard yards to get the fish, :thumbsup: cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:50 am

Good effort mate
Good pics mate

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:23 am

Nice report and pics :thumbsup:

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:05 am

Another top report Truedogz, this time of the year the trout fishing often runs hot and cold that's for sure.. at least you managed to catch a few in what looks like a very nice river that had a decent flow of water as well.. good job.. December & January is when I often struggle with the lure fishing due to the continued insect hatches midges, caddis moths duns etc & now the hoppers are starting to show up... but I still manage to catch a few which is good..

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Broomstick
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Broomstick » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:24 pm

Great stuff Truedogz, I'm loving these reports. Can't wait for the next.

Return to “Northern Victoria Fishing Reports”