Eppalock: The perfect stom

yearoftheroos

Eppalock: The perfect stom

Post by yearoftheroos » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:07 pm

Heading down to Eppalock tomorrow for 4 nights camping and fishing with the boy :water:

Checked out the weather forecast midweek :o_0: With thunderstorms predicted for Friday and a 90% chance of rain, setting up camp should be fun. But the silver lining is that there is plenty of good fish to be caught in the wet. :rofl:

After setting out 2 months ago to research for "the summer of fish" I couldn't be more prepared for the trip, thanks to some great advice from here and plenty of YouTube. I transformed my cumbersome, outdated, impractical tackle box into a mobile artillery unit armed with all the right lures, spinners, wobbly things, vibes, rattlers and plastics. I even purchased scent, not for me for the lures, to give me that extra edge. Although should I engage the Bendigo night life, prawn and garlic may send the local girls into a feeding frenzy. I have cat food (White meat Tuna & Crab + Ocean Salmon & Mackerel), bread, pellets, fish oil, crushed garlic and a burley cannon. Actually it's a plastic container with some holes in it, tied to a rope and weighted with a couple of sinkers. Two new rods to go with the ugly stick (which I plan to rig up for carp) and the trusty old telescopic champ I got 20 years ago. I found a telescopic net for $23, some portable rod holders and a set of Aldi lip grips. After coming under budget I threw in a cheeky bottle of Bourbon, not for the fish.

I even found some secret spots on the internet, that might not be secret as they were on the internet.

Prediction: If you are planning a trip to Eppalock this summer, there may not be any fish left.

Realistically: 50% I have given myself as much chance as the next bloke.

I will send through updates while I'm away, and hopefully some photo's of the fish we caught.

Cheers.
Mark

kenzie101

Re: Eppalock: The perfect stom

Post by kenzie101 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:15 pm

The gold standard of preparation, good luck. Look forward to the report. If the lake goes over the spillway the fishing in few weeks would be great.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:20 pm

Good luck mate!
Let us know how you go :thumbsup:

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:57 pm

Hope you tent has a steel roof and a raised floor, and held down with concrete blocks. Wouldn't be camping under any trees too...

..in fact wouldn't be camping this weekend

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:02 pm

I'd recomend checking how much rain is going to fall and then postponing
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

yearoftheroos

Post by yearoftheroos » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:34 pm

laneends wrote:Hope you tent has a steel roof and a raised floor, and held down with concrete blocks. Wouldn't be camping under any trees too...

..in fact wouldn't be camping this weekend
I have a back up plan. A cosy little cabin for 1 or 2 nights should the weather be outrages. The fishing however will go ahead regardless

yearoftheroos

Post by yearoftheroos » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:39 pm

mazman wrote:I'd recomend checking how much rain is going to fall and then postponing
No can do Mazman, as I said above will reevaluate the camping on arrival. Been watching the forecasts daily 20 - 40 mm predicted ATM and not prepared to risk the littleman for the sake of adventure. I appreciate the concern though

benders
Has liked: 169 times

Post by benders » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:40 pm

I like your thinking YOTR. Get in amongst it. With the rain the water level rises. And the new ground will be full of goodies for the fish. And so on and so forth.

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:46 pm

Good luck mate with the rain expected if you fish just below the spillway you should get a few. :thumbsup:
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:47 pm

yearoftheroos wrote:
mazman wrote:I'd recomend checking how much rain is going to fall and then postponing
No can do Mazman, as I said above will reevaluate the camping on arrival. Been watching the forecasts daily 20 - 40 mm predicted ATM and not prepared to risk the littleman for the sake of adventure. I appreciate the concern though
https://www.fishranger.com.au/forecast/ ... 20Eppalock different story here...
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Return to “Northern Victoria Fishing Reports”