Goulburn ( between Alexandra and Eildon ) trip report

andrew8683

Goulburn ( between Alexandra and Eildon ) trip report

Post by andrew8683 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:57 pm

Hi All. Newbie here !

Thought I would give back a bit since all the reading iv been doing here lately proves helpful . I would consider myself a newbie ( you know that guy with the oversized Shimano Seinna and ebay rod) although As i have proven you don't need all the expensive gear to have fun .....

So I headed up the Goulburn yesterday nice and early started at Gilmore's bridge , got there at 645am . Early is best as it gets pretty busy .

Waters high and flowing fast and had to do a bit of leg work to find the right water . I must've had at least a half dozen follows of which I landed one small Rainbow and got spat out by another . Heaps of fish and actually more then i have seen in the last 5 times i have been there. I'm not sure why but they were all no more then 30 cm's ??

I landed the rainbow on a Rapala CD5 Rainbow pattern , tried soft plastic for the first time in the Strike Tiger black n gold nymph got nothing , tried pink tassie's a red celta and a couple different spinners, couldn't get them to bite . Seems they were rising and taking the flys from the surface so i tried an unweighted strike tiger nymph again for no joy .

In any case was a great day.

Has anyone caught anything of decent size out of the Goulburn in that area lately ??

cheers

PS - Went home and ordered a Stradic 1000 C14plus FB from sneaky fisho , might look the part now at least !

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Re: Goulburn ( between Alexandra and Eildon ) trip report

Post by ducky » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:04 pm

I'd suggest you try a daiwa td minnow 95 in iwana or spawning ghost or black gold (other colours work. I'd be going for the bright patterns at this time of year). They are heavy for a trout lure so they cast a mile. Perfect for the bigger rivers. Plus they dong the trout

http://daiwafishing.com.au/products/td-minnow-95sp/

andrew8683

Re: Goulburn ( between Alexandra and Eildon ) trip report

Post by andrew8683 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:37 pm

ducky wrote:I'd suggest you try a daiwa td minnow 95 in iwana or spawning ghost or black gold (other colours work. I'd be going for the bright patterns at this time of year). They are heavy for a trout lure so they cast a mile. Perfect for the bigger rivers. Plus they dong the trout

http://daiwafishing.com.au/products/td-minnow-95sp/

Thanks mate il take a look . I haven't seen those before

Return to “Northern Victoria Fishing Reports”