Mitchellstown Report

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Mitchellstown Report

Post by Truedogz » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:20 pm

Further to my report from yesterday downstream of Nagambie in the Goulburn I still had my tackle in the truck and on my way home from the big smoke had the time to fish the Goulburn upstream of the weir. Walked a few kms upstream to fish some genuine river and not backed up weir water.

Before I even threw a line in I had lots of bites (I should have bought shares in Bushman, I'd make a fortune this year!):
mozzies.gif
mozzies.gif (36.24 KiB) Viewed 1850 times
Got all set up in a picture postcard spot:
Goulburn above Mitchellstown.jpg
Goulburn above Mitchellstown.jpg (305.49 KiB) Viewed 1850 times
I only had a limited number of worms. Plus I lost most of my small hooks to the cockatoo perch the previous day. Anyhow, after about ten minutes this bloke turned up:
First cod.jpg
First cod.jpg (222.61 KiB) Viewed 1850 times
That fish would be a yearling from last season's stocking.

About twenty minutes later this customer:
Second cod.jpg
Second cod.jpg (313.15 KiB) Viewed 1850 times
From the size probably a 2 or 3 year old fish.

After another twenty minutes:
Third cod.jpg
Third cod.jpg (303.37 KiB) Viewed 1850 times
About 50 cm long, probably a 4 year old fish, would reach breeding size next year. Gave it away then as it was a fair walk back to the car and was nearly out of worms.

A huge difference between yesterday and today. Downstream of the weir are naturally breeding fish populations, with high densities of fish. Upstream are stocked fish that are not breeding so fish density is lower.

Anyhow, so much for the reports of them not biting upstream of the weir!

Best Wishes

Truedogz

ecoronad
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Mitchellstown Report

Post by ecoronad » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:16 pm

Great report again Truedogz.

The water above the weir looks a lot dirtier than the water below the weir judging by your photos. or are my eyes deceiving me?

I think you're partially right with regards to the breeding part of the native fish species in the Goulburn.

From the Native fish stocking reports they stock both upstream of Nagambie Lakes to Seymour and downstream of Nagambie Lakes to McCoy's bridge where the Murray Valley hwy crosses the Goulburn river and in roughly equal amounts. My theory as to why the natives above(and within) the Nagambie Lakes system do not seem as prolific as those below Nagambie Lakes is that the water temperature released into the Goulburn is usually around the low to mid teens coming out of Lake Eildon during Spring/Summer. The Goulburn weir also prevents fish below the weir from moving upstream but they can of course go with the flow of the water downstream of the weir to seek warmer temperatures. Plus of course the better breeding conditions below the Goulburn weir. My two cents.

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:44 am

nice fish there, again a nice spot to fish, cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:29 am

One of my favourite freshwater regions to take the kayak when the bay is blown out. Had some cracking fish, mainly trolling stumpjumpers.

Would be using cheese (I realize your weren't, just a general question) at this time be regarded as illegal as it would be clearly targeting cod out of season?

Can you walk the bank upstream from the bridge or is that private land? I have see there are some good bank spots around there if accessible.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:59 am

Great report mate :thumbsup:

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:41 am

Great report and pic's well done on the fishing, plenty of bites from the bugs too by the sounds of it.. :-D

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Post by Truedogz » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:08 am

Econorad

The water upstream really wasn't much dirtier than downstream.

As to fish breeding, to a large extent downstream of the weir is a naturally recruiting fishery, with cod and golden perch stockings supplementing it. There is evidence for all of the larger native species, except Macquarie perch, recruiting in that stretch of river. Although a bit out of date (due to being done just after the drought) this report documents the evidence:

https://www.gbcma.vic.gov.au/downloads/ ... r_2012.pdf

Upstream of the weir prior to stocking there were very, very few Murray cod and the Golden perch had died out by the 1930s. The fishery, up to this point, has been totally dependent upon stocking. It is likely that in some years, like now, cod could spawn as with the high rivers there has been no cold water from irrigation releases. Even if they do spawn, recruitment of the young will be affected by the releases in say a months time. The cold water has a serious impact on food supply, particularly the smaller stuff which the young fish need. In the long term there might be some natural recruitment, but the fishery is likely to be dependent upon ongoing stocking - like Lake Eildon.

Laneends

Yes, you can walk the banks upstream, at least on the eastern side, that's what I do. On the western side there are some vineyards with houses close to the bank.

If I was seriously targetting cod I would have used baits like big yabbies, cheese or thrown lures. That's what I will be doing when the season opens (and I throw all of them back anyway, whatever size). I threw in the small bunch of worms just to do some fishing close to home, without really chasing cod. With the long weekend (for some) there are a fair few people out and about this weekend on the rivers. In the past I have lobbied for closing totally a few sections of rivers which are important for native fish breeding, just like we close some of the trout streams (which I support - and admire the trout anglers for getting this), but it has fallen on deaf ears. There is a lot of fear amongst anglers that seasonal closures could lead to permanent aquatic reserves - and there are influential people pushing for this so to some extent the paranoia is justified. Still, closing a few areas for three months and allowing take on others as per Eildon to me would be a better management scenario. Then you have got the situation in the Yarra where the cod are an 'alien species' - should they be protected by the closed season? I'm down in Melbourne next week and will probably drown some worms there too, but there is a chance of cod or maccas being by-catch with worms.

I won't be putting a line in again downstream of the weir till the season opens as it is a natural fishery. Upstream I'm a bit more ambivalent. I'll try some of the channels or the lake itself targetting reddies and yellas in the next few weeks. After being away from the area for two decades I am at the moment just checking out access points and throwing a line in without being too serious.

Best Wishes

Truedogz

chris srsc

Post by chris srsc » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:30 pm

Was up at rushworth last night for a birthday drink...the lake is very full
FISH1617 : 183CM

Salt (38cm) Trevely 38cm snapper 65cm gummy 80cm
Fresh (0cm) 

Return to “Northern Victoria Fishing Reports”