First River Trout

samjas1316
Has liked: 47 times

First River Trout

Post by samjas1316 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:30 pm

Had a quick trip to the Goulburn last weekend and this is my son's account of his first river trout...

Hi guys,

Been a while since the last report, but honestly it's been a while since we've had a serious fish. With the on and off weather, fishing has become a premium. When I found out that an overnight trip to the Goulburn River was on the cards, I couldn't wait. I had caught trout in the past, but there was something about chasing them in tiny, hard flowing rivers. About wading and catching fish in knee-deep water that was, well, magical. After tennis was cancelled due to (a significant amount of) rain, we had packed the swags, the rods and the rest of the camping stuff and we were ready to go. Leaving our house to bleak skies and a torrential downpour, to say the weather wasn't the best was definitely an understatement. After watching the rain, hail and winds reign supreme, things weren't looking the best for the trip. However, things soon got better, the rain stopped falling and by the time we were at the Goulburn, the waders were on and I started to cast into a beautiful stretch of water:
OI000240[1].jpg
I tied on a little bullet minnow, a lure which I had read, and heard many great things about. I began wading, casting and soon, struck hooks into something pretty decent. I had made a cast into a deeper section of the river, when I saw the water's surface being smashed by the fish in question. I felt weight, and head shakes. Taken aback by the near instant sign of fish, I struck, but unfortunately, not into the lips of a fish. The fish had spat the lure, and my opportunity to reel in my first River Trout had been wasted. To rub salt into the wound, the grey skies broke their silence, and began to pour down. I was forced to retreat back to the shelter of the campsite, and wait out the showers.

After about half an hour of pouring rain, the clouds parted, and the sky turned blue. I wanted to get back out onto the river, knowing that the weather could turn to crap in minutes. I asked Dad if he wanted to come out, and he said in a minute or two. I waded out to the opposite bank, where there was a deeper, faster flowing stretch of water. On the other side of this stretch, existed a line of trees, with a section of river that lay out of the main flow. Perfect. There was a a bit of a backwater that looked promising. I could sense the presence of a trout. I waded closer to this fast flowing stretch of water, wary that if I wasn't careful I would be swept off my feet, and soaked from head to toe. I slowly and carefully crept into a casting position. Finding some nice ground to stand on, I made the cast into the pool. It landed, the lure disappearing in the water. The little minnow sunk toward the bottom. Cranking the handle of my reel, I slowly moved it from the pool toward the main flow. But before it was completely swept away by the flow, something stopped it. Something pulled it back towards the pool. And feeling head shakes, I knew that this something wasn’t a fallen tree or a patch of weed. This was a trout. A brown trout. After a short, but lively fight, it became my first river trout. And as I waded back to the campsite to show everyone, Dad, still strapping on his waders, ran toward me to take a couple of snaps:
OI000207[1].jpg
This wasn’t a huge fish. But I don’t need a huge fish, to put a smile on my face. To create a lasting memory. And I had caught better trout than this one. But none were caught wading in ankle deep river, and casting into tight pockets of water. This was something special, something that I will remember for a long time. After a few photos, and a satisfying release, the trout returned to the water, but I stayed in my elated state of mind. Dad quickly jumped into his waders, and we both rushed out to where I had caught my fish. Dad had chosen another section of the river, while I stuck to the one where I had caught my trout. And before long, Dad had a trout to his name as well:
OI000224[1].jpg
OI000226[1].jpg
Caught on a Black and Gold T-Tail, it was another beautifully coloured brown trout. After the fish was released, we continued to cast. We kept on casting until the weather (yet again) turned sour:
OI000227[1].jpg
Retreating back to the shelter of our campsite, we had a little afternoon tea while we waited out Mother Nature. As the weather cleared up, we went back out. I had chosen another part of the river, while Dad went to the one he caught his first fish from. And you bet, there was another one where his first one came from. Dad, now with two on the board wore a little smug grin as if to say, “The master teaches the pupil, once again”. Not finding any luck with my new section of the river, I went back to what had worked before. To the backwater that brought me my first trout. And casting my lure, into an almost identical location to where I caught my first fish. And I am forced to believe that I was casting into some lucky spot, as yet again, it provided. It provided a beautiful brown trout, of 42cm:
OI000234[1].jpg
OI000230[1].jpg
OI000233[1].jpg
This was one of my best trout I had ever caught, and it was by far the biggest one I had caught on lure. It was a very pretty fish, even with its prominent battle scars. After a magnificent fight, and a few snaps, the fish was released. Watching it swim back into the river, we went back to casting. Plugging the now two-time success story lure into the same location, I, yet again, hooked up. Reeling it in, I really didn’t feel much resistance. And pulling it out of the water, I saw why. I went from catching one of my biggest trout ever, to probably one of my smallest fish ever. It probably measured between 10cm and 15cm. The mouth was too small for my fingers to unhook the trebles. This was clearly a pliers job. Neither of us brought pliers out, meaning that I had to go ALL THE WAY back to the campsite, with the fish in tow. Thankfully, I was able to quickly get the hooks out of the poor fish’s mouth, and he was on his way in a flash. I waded back out, and returned to casting. We continued to cast, but soon our hunger got the better of us. We went back to the campsite, to see everyone munching down on freshly grilled burgers, huddled around a campfire. After digging in to the burger, there was definitely no rush to get back out fishing.

After dinner was eaten, and the relaxing was done, we went back out, this time to check out a new spot. We left the confines of the caravan park, and walked a little bit upstream of where our campsite was. Unfortunately, aside from a fish on the opposite bank that was constantly teasing us by rising over and over again, we saw zero sign of fish. Soon, the sun got very, very low in the sky, and the air turned cool. And with this, we went back to the comfort of the armchairs around a campfire. Packing up the rods, and rolling out the swags, we ran over to the heat of the fire. Watching the sun set by the fire was a beautiful way to spend the night. Chatting by the fire while roasting marshmallows off a stick that I found on the ground was something that I couldn’t do every day. After the sun had disappeared, and the light had vacated the sky, we got dressed and ready for bed. And after jumping in our sleeping bag, it was lights out.

Waking up to see a sun beating down on a river was a nice sight to see upon waking up. After getting changed, and hopping into my waders, I went out for an early morning flick. I went to our honey-hole from the previous day and went for a flick. Casting and casting, but to no reward, I eventually checked my lure, to find it’s tow point had been bent in the slightest, meaning that the lure had been tracking sideways. I gave it to Dad who gave the lure a bit or a service with his trusty pliers. In the meanwhile, I had tied on another lure, a bigger 5cm jerk bait, and went back out. Unfortunately I was right back in, because the lure I had just tied on, was over the deep, fast flowing stretch of water, and in a tree. I really didn’t want to lose any more expensive lures, so I tied on a soft plastic. But unfortunately, on the 3rd or 4th cast, it too, wound up in a tree. Now I was pretty pissed. My casting was splendid one day, and the next it turned to crap. I looked in the water with my pair of polarised sunnies, and saw it wasn’t too deep. The problem was, it was probably chest deep, and it was the hardest flowing section in the river. But stupidly, I decided to try. And try I did, I made it halfway across that stretch, before I saw the water breaching my waders. I had to turn back. But by turning back, I lost my balance, and the image now should be clear enough that I shouldn’t have to explain what happened next. Soaked, and cold, I went back to the campsite to see an angry face staring me down, only to move its mouth to say, “How?” I got changed, hung my now drenched clothes up, and hooked my waders in a tree upside-down to try to get it to dry. Not my finest fishing moment.

After breakfast, and a couple of hours warming up in the sun, I tested my waders, and although damp, they were wearable. Dad and I went back out (not to our usual spot though…), and started to flick our lures. Seeing that the water looked a bit browner than the previous day, we assumed that it rained overnight. We cast into a deep, slower flowing pool, and soon, I had connected. However, this was a catch not meant to be, as it spat the hooks at my feet. We kept working the river, and soon, I had a chance to redeem myself. I set the hooks into something decent, and when it came up, I was pretty surprised myself:
OI000245[1].jpg
OI000246[1].jpg

A spectacularly coloured rainbow, and our only rainbow of the trip. It was a very pretty fish, and it put up a great fight to boot. It was a great way to cap off a spectacular trip. We eventually headed back in, knowing that we had excellent fishing trip, and that there was nothing much that could have been better (aside from being dunked into the freezing cold Goulburn). We rolled up the swags, and were on our way home. It was a fun weekend with some family, and a great fishing trip as well. And driving home it was great to tell Dad, “How many fish did you catch?” and for his response to be lower than mine.

Thanks for Reading,
Sam

guppie12
Has liked: 1 time

Re: First River Trout

Post by guppie12 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:36 pm

Nice report mate

troutandbream.com

Post by troutandbream.com » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:15 pm

Great photos. Well Done!

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:18 pm

Awesome report mate! Great pics :thumbsup:

Marty.A

Post by Marty.A » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:19 pm

Well done mate I caught my first river trout not long ago and I'm in my 40's :super: great report and photos top stuff.

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:28 pm

Some nice fish there mate. well done

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:11 pm

Great report and photos to go with it, some very nice fish caught too Sam well done. That's one thing I never do is to go above waist deep water and even more so when it's flowing with a bit of pace.. remember no fish is worth drowning for..Always keep these two rules in mind when wading in any body of water: wade with caution, and wade with care. But I reckon you know that now after your dip into the river.. Take care Sam.. :thumbsup:

cheers
Adrian
Last edited by meppstas on Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:18 pm

Very well written report for a young bloke. If he keeps that up he'll have no trouble knocking up a few magazine articles when he is older.

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:21 pm

Great rainbow at the end !
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

Luluberlu

Post by Luluberlu » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:58 am

Hey... :super: better than Dad :a_goodjob: .....
Nice report Nice trouts

Return to “Northern Victoria Fishing Reports”