Grand final long weekend Bonnie Doon

ecoronad
Has liked: 1 time

Grand final long weekend Bonnie Doon

Post by ecoronad » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:40 pm

This weekend last year we watched the mighty Hawks smash the Eagles from the banks of Lake Eildon. This time, with the Hawks eliminated early, I was a little bit more relaxed heading into the long weekend. As we drove towards Lake Eildon, I was astounded to see all the gullies/creeks and rivers gushing with water. I'd never seen so much widespread runoff before. All the hills and paddocks were awashed with green.

We arrived at Bonnie Doon Lakeside resort at around 2pm where we met my parents and checked in to our booked cabin and powered site. After unpacking and setting up the tent, the kids went off to the playground and jumping pillow whilst my dad and I set up our fishing rods for a fish before dinner.

Upon arriving to the water's edge, we were greeted with flat white coffee coloured water and plenty of debris floating along the lake margins. My expectation of catching a fish was low, given the plummeting barometer and extremely cold conditions.
20160930_172155.jpg
Flat white coffee coloured water and floating debris
We chose a spot next to the boat ramp and cast out our lines. Even though I brought scrub worms with me, we chose to bait up with small freshwater yabbies. At least if we did get a bite, I was 90% confident that it would either be a cod or yella. To my surprise, after about 30min, my rod starts to double over. I quickly jumped out of my chair and struck. After a quick fight, up came a small yella. A quick measure on the brag mat... and you beauty 32cm - a keeper. We fished for another hour and half with my dad getting one other bite providing the only other action for the evening.
20160930_174202.jpg
32cm yella
20160930_172242.jpg
The small submerged tree from where the 32cm yella came from
Saturday morning the weather was horrible, but my dad and I finally managed to go out for a fish when the showers lightened up a little bit.
20161001_080133.jpg
Horrible weather with the Bonnie Doon bridge in the back ground
I chose to fish a shallow clay bank to the right of the boat ramp whilst my dad stuck to the spot we fished the night before. After about an hour, a soft bite was starting to register on my rod tip. I got up from my chair and took the rod out of the rod holder and gave it a bit of slack. After about 2 minutes, the line starts to tighten and I struck. After another short tussle, I bank another yella that was a carbon copy of the fish from the night before. As I walked over to show my dad the fish, he just blurted out to me that he'd just got smoked by something that broke his 14lb leader like cotton. He was devastated. We fished for another hour for no more action before going back to the cabin for breakfast.

After watching the grand final and having a bbq, I fished for about an hour at night for no result.
20160930_172213.jpg
Looking back towards the cabins
Sunday morning was our last session as the sun finally decided to make an appearance.
20161002_075722.jpg
The sun comes out
20161002_080504.jpg
Sunday morning sun
Again I chose to fish the shallow clay bank whilst my dad stuck to the same spot as before. An hour later, I was browsing on my phone when I look up to see my rod doubled over. I raced over from my chair to pick up my rod, struck and got that devastating feeling of no weight. I reel in to find my yabbie in one piece and still in good condition. I cast it back out to the same spot and slumped back into my chair cursing myself for missing a third yella for the trip. But about a minute later, my rod tip registers a bite. I get up and watch the rod tip like a hawk. Another minute and nothing. Then, my rod tip slowly loads up. I picked up the rod and struck. Hook up! After a short tussle, I could feel solid weight. This was no small yella. I try to get my dad's attention to come over to where I was and bring the net over, but at 75 years of age, I had better chance of just beaching the fish and using my lip gripper. When I finally saw the fish, I was gobsmacked. At 65cm and 3.5kg, he was the biggest yella i'd ever caught.
20161002_084806_001.jpg
My PB yella
20161002_082944.jpg
65cm and 3.5kg
In summary, we landed 3 fish from 6 confirmed bites. Despite the horrible conditions, it was a great weekend away and can't way for next year's trip. I reckon next month's Fishing Victoria trip should be a ripper.

Marty.A

Re: Grand final long weekend Bonnie Doon

Post by Marty.A » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:45 pm

Great report and some great fish mate well done :thumbsup:

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:46 pm

That's a bloody ripper yellow belly mate. Well done.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:57 pm

That's a cracking yella mate. Nice work

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:03 am

great report
atleast you got a few fish

drew 2

Post by drew 2 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:17 am

Great report :thumbsup: beaut yella :thumbsup:

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:25 am

Great yella mate, I hope there are a few like that when we get there, cheers davo :good:
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:18 am

Great report with some nice pics mate :thumbsup:

matt1991

Post by matt1991 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:58 am

they are such a fat looking fish lol. Are they good eating? I mainly fish salt water and have never tried them.

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:00 am

Top report,photos & fish.
I've never caught a yella that big either.
FV trip next month may change that.

Living in hope
Gra

Return to “Northern Victoria Fishing Reports”