Jim's irrigation channel fishing adventures!

Mutley and Scruffy

Jim's irrigation channel fishing adventures!

Post by Mutley and Scruffy » Tue May 03, 2016 9:09 pm

I don’t really know if they are much of an adventure but I thought I would start a thread for my fishing sessions in the local channels (Shepparton area). Went out late yesterday arvo…intentions were to use lures for about an hour before dark and then use bait. I took no bait out there and this was a bold move! I had to rely on getting shrimp in this cold weather and I was reasonably confident of getting a few…otherwise this was going to be a short session. Channel flow was slow due to rain but it looked rather good.
reg35.jpg
reg35.jpg (150.46 KiB) Viewed 2963 times
So after arriving and sipping on my Coke Zero, I had to ring Dave as…well I don’t know, I just rang him. After talking to Dave I then realised I had a crisis! I had forgotten milk! So I throw the bait trap in the channel and then back to the local store for milk. Walk out the door, I see someone I haven’t seen for a while and start talking. Arrive back at the channel with about 15 minutes of light left and ready to go. Using a baitcast outfit with 10 lb Fins (tow rope) braid and 15 lb leader.
tackle box35.jpg
tackle box35.jpg (239.87 KiB) Viewed 2963 times
Start off with a Bassman spinnerbait, fitted with a Squidgee plastic. No luck casting over a rock bed and right up at the base of the regulator. Then in failing light I switch to a Kingfisher Mantis surface lure. I haven’t used this one before and I like the action. Also wondering why in the f%^& have I not tried it before. So darkness falls and I decide I need coffee. Plan then is to set up bait rod…only small shrimp in net which had then been in for about an hour so I drink coffee knowing that the larger shrimp will come! And they did!
shrimp buffett35.jpg
shrimp buffett35.jpg (131.55 KiB) Viewed 2963 times
So much so that I had an ‘all you can eat buffet’ of shrimp! Somewhere in there is a size 1/0 wide gape hook! Despite the fact it is standing room only, I always ensure the barb is clear. Threw them in and waited! I used a spin rod with 8lb mono for my bait fishing last night Had some very aggressive hits during the night (left soon after 10pm) but unfortunately nothing landed. Previous captures from here tell me it was likely cod. Checked the bait frequently and kept the shrimp sacrifices going. The largish shrimp started to dwindle after a couple hours and I was only getting smaller ones, despite the fact I added extra Miffy and Sparkles (cat) food to the trap. Whilst the obvious conclusion is that it was getting to cold for them, that don’t explain why I got none at the start when the temp was at its warmest.

Thought about changing down hook sizes after a couple missed chances but knew that may result in the capture of small cod so stuck with the initial plan, but failed to get that better size one. Thought about casting the surface lure again but decided not to…I find if I try lures and bait at the same time, I end up missing opportunities on the bait rod. Next time I go I think I will use a suicide pattern hook and hold onto the rod…that’ll f#$% ‘em! Also, don't think I am going to use 8 lb mono anymore either. The night sky was brilliant also, meteors, stars, UFO’s…brilliant place to be!
Cheers
Team M & S

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Jim's irrigation channel fishing adventures!

Post by Scraglor » Tue May 03, 2016 9:13 pm

Great report jimbo! Always next time for the fish mate!

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue May 03, 2016 9:25 pm

Nice report mate. Better luck next time with the fish :)

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Tue May 03, 2016 10:21 pm

Nice read Jim! They drain the channels (or some) to clean them out from time to time don't they? Are there some that can produce sizeable fish, if not cod then yellas or reddies?

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Tue May 03, 2016 10:23 pm

Redhunter wrote:Nice read Jim! They drain the channels (or some) to clean them out from time to time don't they? Are there some that can produce sizeable fish, if not cod then yellas or reddies?
There some great fish in the channels redhunter

Some really decent cod.

bm
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

jedgpz

Post by jedgpz » Tue May 03, 2016 11:30 pm

Nice report!
Have found the shrimp slowing down in the goulburn

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Tue May 03, 2016 11:40 pm

At least you got out for a fishing session, nice condition shrimp :thumbsup:

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Wed May 04, 2016 5:22 am

Good report mate, you would have had plenty of time to think about this while sitting out there in the cold, we know they are there Jim, just got to be patient, cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

DR.SPESH

Post by DR.SPESH » Wed May 04, 2016 8:31 am

davek wrote:Good report mate, you would have had plenty of time to think about this while sitting out there in the cold, we know they are there Jim, just got to be patient, cheers davo
Is there still a lot of silver perch in the channels up there?

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Wed May 04, 2016 8:31 am

Nice one Jim and welcome back

Return to “Northern Victoria Fishing Reports”