Rubicon/Goulburn River 20/9/15

fishmagnet

Rubicon/Goulburn River 20/9/15

Post by fishmagnet » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:38 am

Yesterday, my mate and forum member (Jason.Tanti) and I went to fish the Rubicon River for a club competition with the Preston-Northcote Angling Club. One of the blokes there had kindly offered to drive us up there at the clubs meeting on Thursday night. So yesterday morning, he picked us up at 7am and we were off...

After a quick stop at Alexandra to pick up some worms, we had arrived at the Rubicon. Jason and I rigged up with a size 8 bait holder hook with a small splitshot crimped about 30cm above the hook. Jason, having fished the river a lot before, recommended that we bypass a lot of the really fast flowing water as it would be too hard to keep the lightly weighted baits in the strike zone long enough and go straight to a spot he knows produces fish...

after a bit of a leisurely walk, we eventually arrive at the stretch of river Jason was talking about, and it was beautiful! he stays and fishes this run of river, while i go a couple of meters downstream and fish another good looking stretch. after a few casts of nothing, I hear Jason scream "I'M ON I'M ON!" as loud as he could, i bolt up the river to where he was and when I arrive i see Jason lifting up a lovely brown trout!
image-71.jpg
Beautiful 38cm Brown Trout
We then measure the fish (38cm), take some photos and then put it out of its misery so we can weigh it in. I then venture back down to my stretch of river only to hear Jason yell that he's on again! I race back up the river and see a decent brown jump out the river, Jason gets it close enough so he could lift it but just as he did, it spun around and the hook fell out. We were shattered.

Again, I go back to my hole and drift my worm in the current, and soon enough, I was on!
image-70.jpg
Small Brown
Nothing big, but signs of a healthy system!

With both of our stretches of river not producing, we prospect further up river in hope of some nice stretches. We found a few that look likely to produce fish but our efforts were to no avail. We then worked our way back down the way we came and fished the stretches that we had fished before, we we eventually came back to the spot where i got my little brown earlier and a few casts later i was on!
image-69.jpg
Another Little Brown
We had a few more flicks in that hole for nothing, so we then moved up to the run where Jason got his lovely brown, but unfortunately we got nothing. We then met up with Pedro (the guy who had taken us up) but he had no luck. We went back to the car and had lunch, then it was off to the Goulburn River to see if we could pull anything out of there. The river is extremely high at the moment due to all the water being released from Eildon but Jason knew a spot that usually produces for him so we ventured out there. We arrived and the grassland was all flooded, so we decided to fish the flooded grassland the the edges of the river for feeding fish. But after an hour and a bit, we'd covered all the area for nothing and it was time to leave to get to the weigh in, so we pulled the pin and head to the weigh in at Yea.

I had a bit of a snooze in the car as I was pretty wrecked, but we soon arrived at Yea. We gutted and gilled Jasons trout for weigh in. His trout went 450 grams gutted so it was a pretty solid fish. Another bloke had 2 really good trout, roughly 900 grams gutted and gilled and another bloke had a really good bag of redoes, one going 1kg on the dot gutted and gilled. overall, Jason came 5th which is a pretty good effort. We then said our goodbyes and jumped back into the car where i slept the whole way home..

Fish Count:

Jason - 1 Brown Trout @ 38cm

Sam (me) 2 Brown trout @ 10cm

Pedro - 0

Cheers Sam
Last edited by fishmagnet on Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

wokka1

Re: Rubicon/Goulburn River 20/9/15

Post by wokka1 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:14 am

fishmagnet wrote: Pedro - 0
Nice report :thumbsup: Can we expect another Pedro Arvy video report soon ?

fishmagnet

Post by fishmagnet » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:21 am

wokka1 wrote:
fishmagnet wrote: Pedro - 0
Nice report :thumbsup: Can we expect another Pedro Arvy video report soon ?
No! We were trying to get him to do one but he wasn't having a bar of it!

wokka1

Post by wokka1 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:23 am

Bugger, I love a Pedro production.

Jeffs_gone_fishing

Post by Jeffs_gone_fishing » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:15 pm

Good work Sam, good to see you guys getting on to some fish. Fishing the Goulburn at high levels requires a different approach, as most of the fish will be amongst the back water and will require stealth in approaching and presenting your bait/lure/fly, polarised glasses is must and you need to move slow scanning the water close to the edge.

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Post by BIG GAV » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:45 pm

wokka1 wrote:Bugger, I love a Pedro production.
His from another world haha! Gotta hand it to him for his enthusiasm.. Good report Sam, who won? Stuart?
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

fishmagnet

Post by fishmagnet » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:58 pm

BIG GAV wrote:
wokka1 wrote:Bugger, I love a Pedro production.
His from another world haha! Gotta hand it to him for his enthusiasm.. Good report Sam, who won? Stuart?
nah swampy, won by weighing in reddies from the yea river haha

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Post by BIG GAV » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:00 pm

True.. Swampy is a veteran freshwater fisherman!! Did Daniel weigh in? I gather he woulda fished with swampy
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

fishmagnet

Post by fishmagnet » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:22 am

BIG GAV wrote:True.. Swampy is a veteran freshwater fisherman!! Did Daniel weigh in? I gather he woulda fished with swampy
Donuts for Daniel, he fished with johnny Costa on his tinny

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:14 am

Great report and photos Sam, good day out for sure mate, well done.. :thumbsup:

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Return to “Northern Victoria Fishing Reports”