Who is planning to hit the surf tomorrow June 20

shazzagraz

Who is planning to hit the surf tomorrow June 20

Post by shazzagraz » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:33 pm

Just sounds too simple and easy to be true lol. I see photos of rods set up on tripod looking things so I thought they were the norm.

However, my plans to gear up and head out to tackle the surf may have been put on hold tonight. I've spent half the night at the children's hospital with my little boy and it turns out he has pneumonia. That means my wife has to stay at home with him till he gets better, which could be weeks, while we pay fees for his childcare and my wife goes without pay due to only having just started this new job about a month ago. So, we're out of pocket big time which means the little amount of spare cash I was going to spend on some surf gear will no longer be available to me.

The joys of parenthood :) I wouldn't have it any other way though!

slinga

Re: Who is planning to hit the surf tomorrow June 20

Post by slinga » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:47 am

shazzagraz wrote:
slinga wrote:Bit of 40mm pvc knocked down with a hammer and bit of pine.......cant go wrong :lol:
That easy huh? Will it hold up strong enough if something decent decides to eat my bait?
When I knock it down I cant kick the pvc out of place.
Linc- "slimeys are great fun to catch, like hooking a giant vibrator with a propeller onto the end of your rod! Well done"

alexdefig

Post by alexdefig » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:41 pm

slinga wrote:
shazzagraz wrote:
slinga wrote:Bit of 40mm pvc knocked down with a hammer and bit of pine.......cant go wrong :lol:
That easy huh? Will it hold up strong enough if something decent decides to eat my bait?
When I knock it down I cant kick the pvc out of place.
I second that ... & if you duct tape around the rod end opening the pipe doesn't break when you belt it with a hammer ;)

Has anyone been to Kilcunda lately, and is the place covered in weed?? Thursday night is looking good for a midnight session and Friday's looking even better for a day of annual leave, but it's a long drive just to find out the weed monsters are out and about.

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:53 pm

shazzagraz wrote:Just sounds too simple and easy to be true lol. I see photos of rods set up on tripod looking things so I thought they were the norm
I would prefer the tripod, but currently I am using the metal rod holders, I my opinion much better than the PVC.

Accidently left one behind at Merricks last night.

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:20 pm

hi shazza i use a metal rod holder.
and FC did you end up going and if so how did you go?
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:41 pm

mazman wrote:hi shazza i use a metal rod holder.
and FC did you end up going and if so how did you go?
I use both metal and PVC. I prefer the PVC as I can insert the rod inside it and bundle the lot together. It's like carrying only the rods. Too light and easy.

Yes I went to Portsea (and Gunna). So did Brett and Wooly. I finally met the legends. LOL :tongue: Nice meeting you guys. :cheers:

Portsea kept us busy - a lot of fish but they were on the lighter side 300-800 grams. Wooly and Brett had enough of the small ones and headed to Gunna for the blackbacks (big salmon). I stayed for another hour in Portsea. I had a good session quantity wise but did mostly C&R. Got me a 1kg+ specimen plus a pinkie finger which bled a lot courtesy of Yo-Zuri. :angryfire: Kept 4 fish from Portsea. Had enough in Portsea and I followed Brett's and Wooly's footsteps to Gunna.

Gunna was quiet. I should have stayed in Portsea! :angry: After the legends left, I caught 4 fish in Gunna (about 600grams each) which I gave to the old man who was fishing nearby. Poor old man, his bait wont last in the water. Probably there are hundreds of crabs where he was fishing.

Brett was not kidding when he said the Catana 9ft 6-8kg rod is excellent for casting 40g slugs. Nice rod! No issues whatsoever hurling the metals midway to Tassie. Happy with my rod purchase. Now I need a lighter reel. Need to hide some cash from the missus to buy me CI4 4000 size reel. shhhhh. it's a secret.

Saturday forecast is looking good. Will hit the water again if the forecast holds.
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

Andoki

Post by Andoki » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:04 am

Nice report FC ... Especially the confirmation on the catana 9ft ... But my question is why you need a lighter reel on it?

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:02 am

Andoki wrote: Especially the confirmation on the catana 9ft ...

I'm sorry, was my recomendation not good enough? :?

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:50 am

good report FC.
i looked at getting the catana aswell but just couldn't afford another rod especially when i have a lighter 10'6" rod already.
hopefuly will get to go for my first session this year soon
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:52 am

Andoki wrote:Nice report FC ... Especially the confirmation on the catana 9ft ... But my question is why you need a lighter reel on it?
The rod is light enough. The reel is heavy. My estimate is that the reel that came with the combo is 4 times heavier than a CI4 reel. If I change to CI4 then I can easily cut the (reel) weight about 60%. When you use long rods, even the smallest fish feels heavier than when using shorter rod. Any weight I can shave off will help me with my spinning. The lighter the better.
Last edited by Fish-cador on Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

Return to “Northern Victoria Fishing Reports”