Nagambie Boof

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Re: Nagambie Boof

Post by Truedogz » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:02 pm

Hendo55 wrote:Went to Goulburn today fished the bridge on the Heathcote Nagambie Road had a couple of hits and landed a nice 45cm cod, lot of fun on a really light bream style rod with 6lb braide.
What method were you using Hendo?

Cheers

Truedogz

Brownie

Post by Brownie » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:52 pm

Truedogz wrote:
4liters wrote:Would a head torch put the cod off? I assume no lights shining on the water would be the ideal scenario but that sounds like a good way to lose lures and/or break an ankle in a rabbit burrow.
I reckon the head torch is one of the top 5 inventions for fishing, and you should have one. I definitely avoid shining it into the water but on a dark night will briefly turn it on to check things out on the water.
barra mick wrote:The best time to surface fish is bright moons
Years ago I used to do a lot of surface fishing for trout at night. I found that my best catches happened on dark starry nights. When the moon was out I caught less and picked up most fish near the bankside shadows. With cod back then they were pretty scarce and I caught most around twilight so I didn't notice any pattern. When I lived in FNQ and chased barra I found that rule also worked but in clear water. If I fished where the water had a bit of colour then the full moon was the best conditions to fish under. I suspect barra mick where you fish there is that a bit of colour that makes all of the difference and makes the moon important.

What I learnt with barra I have applied to cod and the pattern seems to be working:

1. clear water fish moonless or fingernail moon, dark coloured lures;
2. clear water if the moon is out but it is cloudy (diffused light) dark coloured lures;
3. clear water full moon fish in the shadows with a light coloured lure;
4. cloudy water full moon fish with a dark coloured lure;
5. cloudy water no moon fish with a light coloured lure.

I had the experience a few weeks back where I fished clear water, the first half of the night was starry, second half with a moon. The first half of the night I used strategy 1 and caught 5 cod. The moon came up and I caught no fish till I changed to strategy 3, after which I caught another 5 cod. They aren't hard and fast rules but sort of what I work to. I think a full moon also possibly stimulates latent tidal urges in freshwater fish - some research backs that up.

There's no doubt having moonlight makes the fishing easier. I am lucky to have great night vision and I love fishing under a starry sky - I simply look up at the stars when retrieving and I am in awe at the majesty of the universe.

Best Wishes

Truedogz
That info is Gold mate. :thumbsup:

Hendo55

Post by Hendo55 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:23 pm

1/8 oz jig head soft plastic taztiger lime green with a small silver blade attached. Just lob beside structure and a slow halting retrieve.

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Post by Truedogz » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:24 am

Thanks Hendo, you've done very well.

The Goulburn Weir is a bit of an enigma for cod - most are caught on bait or trolling. Its a developing fishery as it hasn't been stocked for as long as say Eildon as far as numbers go.

It has a reputation for being very hit and miss - the coldwater releases from Eildon influence fish activity. My tinny is out of action so I am bank fishing which greatly restricts where I can fish as much of the lake is fringed with cumbungi.

I've been chipping away with surface lures trying to work out some patterns. Davek and I fished the same area last night. When we got there we found quite a number of people bait and lure fishing. On surface lures we both got boofed once but it was obviously quieter than the previous night, possibly due to human activity.

Best Wishes

Truedogz

Hendo55

Post by Hendo55 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:01 am

[img][
14B7DC19-1EA7-4D76-91E9-19FBF1D9ADD5.jpeg
14B7DC19-1EA7-4D76-91E9-19FBF1D9ADD5.jpeg (76.63 KiB) Viewed 1427 times
/img]Photo of Nagambie Boof

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin