Natives in the Area?

Kuerschie

Natives in the Area?

Post by Kuerschie » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:30 pm

Now this may be a long shot but I was wondering if anyone could give me directions for a place near the Grampians that I could hook into any Australian Natives? Caught some trout and redfin perch in my local areas but I am ready for a new challenge this coming Spring. I would also like to note that I catch and release all natives as I only chase for sport. Any hints or tips are greatly appreciated.
Regards Leigh.

TrevKing

Re: Natives in the Area?

Post by TrevKing » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:25 pm

Thats a tricky one.
As far as I know, there are very few lakes/reservoirs in the Grampians that hold natives - it's mainly just trout, reddies and carp.
It might be worth making the drive to Cairn Curran or Lake Eppalock - or if you're into rivers, the Loddon and Campaspe both hold natives.
If you're really keen, it wouldn't be a bad idea to travel to Eildon, the Murray, or the North East Part of the state.

Trev
2015 Goals -
-First Squid
-Trout on SP
-First Murray Cod
-Rainbow over 40cm
-Redfin over 40cm

justonemorecast

Post by justonemorecast » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:57 am

You could try the Wimmera river, some nice yellow belly caught in there, cod as well, not real close to the grampians but look around Dimboola.

cheers

Rob

Kuerschie

Post by Kuerschie » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:30 pm

Thanks all, was just wondering. Might have to go for an extended trip to chase some natives.

Birdman

Post by Birdman » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:30 pm

Wimmera river well stocked, see fishing guide for numbers and locations, a few to try off the top of my head are Horsham, dimboola and jeparit, all Wimmera river, yellows, catfish and cod as well as silver perch. Green lake, Taylor's lake, lake Marma at Murtoa, all have natives stocked in since the drought, and within 25 mins of Horsham. Slightly further afield, Lake Chariliagraark, and Ratzcastle near Edenhope fish well at times. Glenelg river also has Blackfish in small numbers. Most of these are not in the grampians, but Horsham is 45mins from Stawell and nearly all these locations are within 45 mins or less from Horsham...Usually fish are moving better in the warmer months as well as yabbys but a few are taken all year round. Good luck!
My hobbies are fishing and golf, I guess I just like frustration..

Kuerschie

Post by Kuerschie » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:33 pm

Cheers Birdman, just went to BCF with their sale on and picked up some lures for the yellowbelly, oargees, stumpjumpers etc. Also found a few LCBs that were cheap. Spring is just around the corner too!

Birdman

Post by Birdman » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:13 pm

Don't forget the old standby bait, a good worm, yabby or gudgeon are regular producers around here. Not to give anyone a free plug but Webbcon marine usually have the up to date info for the area;) or listen to Rexy on am radio on a Saturday morning...
My hobbies are fishing and golf, I guess I just like frustration..

Return to “Grampians and Surrounds Fishing Reports”