Lake Wendouree

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Re: Lake Wendouree

Post by BIG GAV » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:13 pm

Any recent reports?? Heading up Sunday
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

TrevKing

Post by TrevKing » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:37 pm

BIG GAV wrote:Any recent reports?? Heading up Sunday
Not too many reports as of late Gav but definitely still producing fish, I'll send you a PM

GONE FISHING

Post by GONE FISHING » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:55 pm

I have only ever fished it once. Was myself in a paddle yak at the time, another guy on a pro angler and a boater... Blew up something shocking within an hour and I paddled around but gave up as made flicking anything hard work.

Anyhow I vowed to head back there one day as it seems like it would be a nice peaceful place to fish on its day.

Any tips would be great.

Cheers,

Jay

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:36 am

troll tassies in the rowing lanes, flick 70-100mm shallow divers (no more than 50cm) over the weed. I have had the exact same experience at wendouree and as well have vowed to go back there.

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Post by BIG GAV » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:11 am

mazman wrote:troll tassies in the rowing lanes, flick 70-100mm shallow divers (no more than 50cm) over the weed. I have had the exact same experience at wendouree and as well have vowed to go back there.

I hear besides in the rowing lanes it's not that deep.. What's the bottom like maz? Wadable? I'm gonna take up fishmagnet so just gonna go landbased trevking has put us onto some good info.. I got small Redfin looking hard bodies I'll be throwing them about
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:28 pm

it's deep enough throughout the lake but the weed is close to the surface, hence the shallow lures. The lanes have just had the weed cleared.

GONE FISHING

Post by GONE FISHING » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:51 pm

mazman wrote:troll tassies in the rowing lanes, flick 70-100mm shallow divers (no more than 50cm) over the weed. I have had the exact same experience at wendouree and as well have vowed to go back there.
Thanks mate I'll give that a crack next time I'm out there

coburgfiss

Post by coburgfiss » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:01 pm

caught a 54cm rainbow there about a week ago trolling a shallow hardbody.

i really want to get into soft plastics and i reckon this could be a good place to do it but i just keep getting donuts on em. any tips would be greatly appreciated.

i did get my first hits on soft plastics today at albert park lake in melbourne though. i noticed some schooling bait fish and watched them for a bit before a school of about 8 small trout (christmas holiday stocking program) started cruising through the area trying to pick them up. i mainly had larger yellowbelly lures so i threw on a soft plastic and they showed immediate interest. i could see and feel them hitting the 3 inch curl tail grub but they just didn't hook up. i changed over to a small ecogear hardbody and got two hook ups but both got off. so fun but so frustrating as well. unless they really inhale the lure trout are so good at getting off hardbodied lures!

i'm still interested in using soft plastics at wendouree especially in the areas away from the rowing lanes. are curl tailed grubs or shads a better choice? should i slow roll, twitch, lift? what is a good technique?

TrevKing

Post by TrevKing » Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:27 pm

coburgfiss wrote:caught a 54cm rainbow there about a week ago trolling a shallow hardbody.

i really want to get into soft plastics and i reckon this could be a good place to do it but i just keep getting donuts on em. any tips would be greatly appreciated.

i did get my first hits on soft plastics today at albert park lake in melbourne though. i noticed some schooling bait fish and watched them for a bit before a school of about 8 small trout (christmas holiday stocking program) started cruising through the area trying to pick them up. i mainly had larger yellowbelly lures so i threw on a soft plastic and they showed immediate interest. i could see and feel them hitting the 3 inch curl tail grub but they just didn't hook up. i changed over to a small ecogear hardbody and got two hook ups but both got off. so fun but so frustrating as well. unless they really inhale the lure trout are so good at getting off hardbodied lures!

i'm still interested in using soft plastics at wendouree especially in the areas away from the rowing lanes. are curl tailed grubs or shads a better choice? should i slow roll, twitch, lift? what is a good technique?
Minnow imitations are the go in Wendouree, with long, thin profiles getting the best results. The fish arrow and nories spoontail ranges are both productive lures with dark brown/green colours being the most effective.

As for the retrieve, the most effective is a slow roll with occasional twitches. Try to keep the lure within 50cm or so of the surface to avoid hitting the shallow weedbeds.

PDXSerric

Post by PDXSerric » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:08 am

Hello all.

I live in Ballarat but have never fished Wendouree - about to try tomorrow morning, actually, using a variety of spinners and tassies. Unfortunately getting on the water itself isn't an option at the moment (I would LOVE to fish the rowing lanes near the weedbeds, but oh well). Can anyone advise of a decent shore location for casting? Reds, trout, all good. I just don't want to spend hours flicking in a lure with no results.

Cheers!

:water:

PS: Apologies if I necro'd this thread... didn't want to start a new one if this one was still alive and kicking.

Return to “Grampians and Surrounds Fishing Reports”