Day of firsts

Nightwish

Lake Wendouree

Post by Nightwish » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:08 am

Went for another fish on Lake Wendouree on Friday,l was there just as the sun was rising l don't know if that will make a difference but will wait and see.
ln the first hour all l caught was about 10 little reddies between about 15cm and 20cm long some caught on mudeyes and some on worms.
At about 8.30am l caught my first rainbow.
WP_20170217_07_49_34_Pro[1].jpg
After then things started to pick up,one of my rods really started to loose some line and when l landed the fish it was a brown trout,l don't catch many browns and the way this one was taking line l thought l had something fairly decent on.
WP_20170217_11_07_58_Pro[1].jpg
The action was really starting to take off,l had to take one of my rods out as they were both getting bites at the same time,just before l took my second rod out l had one fish in the net and another on the line so l ended up with two rainbows in the net at the same time.
WP_20170217_10_44_16_Pro[1].jpg
l don't like to throw the rainbows straight back as they seem to need a bit of swimming before they are released or they don't survive.
Between 8.30am and about 1pm l think l caught around 8 to 10 rainbows, one brown and a heap of little reddies,it was like these fish hadn't had a feed in ages as l was catching them on worms and even dead mudeyes,l don't catch many on worms and l only use dead mudeyes when l run out of live ones but today l thought l would give the dead ones a go to see what happens.
After 1pm things started to slow down so l put my second rod back in and caught 1 more rainbow and a few reddies,unfortunately none of the reddies were keepers.
WP_20170217_11_57_02_Pro[1].jpg
By now at about 3pm the wind was really starting to get up and it was about time to go but l had one more really good run by what looked like to be the largest rainbow l have had on my line but unfortunately it got caught around one of the rowing bouy lane markers and busted me off and as they say s**t happens but overall it has been another fantastic day on Lake Wendouree.
l am not sure why things are going this well but l will take it while it lasts.
All but 2 rainbows were released,one had some damage to its eye and the other l couldn't get to swim properly.

:cheers:

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Re: Day of firsts

Post by Nude up » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:26 am

Lake wendouree is really fishing well at the moment great reports. I remember years ago fishing near the childrens playground catching browns while the kids played. It certainly has recovered from the drought when it almost completely dried up

Nightwish

Re: Day of firsts

Post by Nightwish » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:30 am

Yeah it has been fantastic,aparently since it dried up it has been stocked with over 100000 trout,l don't know how true that is but there are a lot of action there at the moment.
:cheers:

Return to “Grampians and Surrounds Fishing Reports”