LAKE TOOLONDO - WHAT ARE YOU DOING GWM WATER

Paulanderson
Has liked: 51 times

LAKE TOOLONDO - WHAT ARE YOU DOING GWM WATER

Post by Paulanderson » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:32 pm

While most Grampians Lakes are doing well and Lake Lonsdale has gone from zero to 74% full in just 3 months Lake Toolondo sits at 10% full - just half of the same time last year. It is clear that GWM Water sees Lake Toolondo as the lowest priority in their system and are feeding NO water in the lake. I have mailed GWM Water on info@gwmwater.org.au asking them why and, if they respond, I will post the reply here.

GWM Water seem to have no interest in maintaining even a minimal amount of water in Toolondo. In what has been a wet spring this is simply not good enough!

Paul

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Re: LAKE TOOLONDO - WHAT ARE YOU DOING GWM WATER

Post by Redhunter » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:26 pm

Toolondo gets its water from Rocklands. Once rocklands hits the trigger point of 116k ml, authorities will/should open the gates to the channel. The thing is however, rocklands cannot receed any lower than 116k ml after the release of water. Apparently Toolondo needs only 6k ml to get it through the summer ahead, therefore Rocklands needs to hit 122k ml for Toolondo to survive. I believe Rocklands is currently only a few ml shy of the trigger point, so a release of water should hopefully be very close.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:40 pm

Toolondo certainly seems to need a lot of water. Is it really that viable a lake?

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:08 pm

Its ripper trout lake when its full.

The fish grow fast and taste great
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

fishin

Post by fishin » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:26 pm

On talking fishing a month or so ago they were talking about a fund that has started to buy water for tolondo

Paulanderson
Has liked: 51 times

Post by Paulanderson » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:22 pm

Rocklands is currently 110,380 so lets hope it hits that trigger point very soon.

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Post by BIG GAV » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:04 am

Someone started a dave toolondo fund can't remember the details but was discussed one night at my fishing club n we decided to make a donation as its been a place my club has fished for years! Never fished it but I hear it holds some big Browns
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:13 pm

I fished it 20 years ago when the water was up past the sand islands its a great place camp on the lake edge the club I was in always fished the big 2 day comp there something shield name escapes me. Its sad to see it like this hopefully the large amount of rain we just had finds its way to toolondo

Mappo

Post by Mappo » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:36 am

Copied from Weekly Times website.

Fishing preserved as Lake Toolondo refills

SHANNON TWOMEY, The Weekly Times
October 6, 2016 12:00am

FIVE thousand megalitres of water is flowing into Lake Toolondo.

After an extended dry period in the region, strong spring rainfall across the Grampians Wimmera Mallee catchment has dramatically increased water levels in most storages.

The Rocklands Reservoir reached levels last week that enabled authorities and water entitlement holders to consider a transfer to Toolondo.

In January 2015, the Government moved to preserve the lake with a 5000ML allocation.

The latest 5000ML transfer will again top it up and preserve the fishery over summer.

Water Minister Lisa Neville said the transfer is a great example of government, entitlement holders and water authorities working with the community to keep fishing spots flowing and good water management.

Marty.A

Post by Marty.A » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:10 am

Mappo wrote:Copied from Weekly Times website.

Fishing preserved as Lake Toolondo refills

SHANNON TWOMEY, The Weekly Times
October 6, 2016 12:00am

FIVE thousand megalitres of water is flowing into Lake Toolondo.

After an extended dry period in the region, strong spring rainfall across the Grampians Wimmera Mallee catchment has dramatically increased water levels in most storages.

The Rocklands Reservoir reached levels last week that enabled authorities and water entitlement holders to consider a transfer to Toolondo.

In January 2015, the Government moved to preserve the lake with a 5000ML allocation.

The latest 5000ML transfer will again top it up and preserve the fishery over summer.

Water Minister Lisa Neville said the transfer is a great example of government, entitlement holders and water authorities working with the community to keep fishing spots flowing and good water management.
That's awesome news :super: good to hear that Victoria's premier trout lake has been given a life line I was planning a trip up there depending on the water release so now its definitely on in the next few weeks :thumbsup:

Return to “Grampians and Surrounds Fishing Reports”