Newlyn Reservoir

PDXSerric

Newlyn Reservoir

Post by PDXSerric » Mon May 02, 2016 1:45 pm

I've been trying to find a decent spot in Newlyn Reservoir to fish from the shore for browns, rainbows and redfin. I realize redfins are going to be less active in the colder weather, but to be honest it would be nice to find a location on this body of water that is somewhat protected where we can just cast lures and see what we get.

I have heard that along the “wall side” is good, and to be honest if the water levels were higher I could see why this would be true. The dam there has a good flow if running water that would attract lazy trout to sit and feed – but as I said, with the water level as low as it is, that isn’t an option atm.

I’ve also been tempted to go down to the creek area on the southern tip of the reservoir, but am a little nervous about getting close to private property, not to mention getting stuck in the knee-deep mud! Has anyone been fishing this water recently that can share some pointers? Somewhere we can either have the constant wind at our backs or find some shelter from it?

PDXSerric

Re: Newlyn Reservoir

Post by PDXSerric » Fri May 13, 2016 10:40 am

Ok, I'm guessing not a lot of people are fishing Newlyn at the moment, which is odd, to be honest, as lure fishing or live-bait fishing with minnows for Browns should be great this time of year and the reservoir was stocked with 4,000 browns just a year or so ago, making the fish a catchable size.

I'm heading out there with my mate tomorrow morning, planning to have a lure in the water by 630 and see what we can drag up, if anything. I am a little concerned that the water levels are low and there are mud flats to navigate along the NE shore, but we'll check it out nonetheless. Seeing as I don't have gumboots or waders yet I'll have to see what shoes I'm willing to sacrifice to the mud gods...

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Post by BIG GAV » Fri May 13, 2016 11:58 am

$20 gumboots at bunnings mate well worth it if your trekking that kinda terrain!

Waders are invaluable tho
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

fishpod

Post by fishpod » Fri May 13, 2016 12:16 pm

There have been some big Redfin being caught on lures there at the moment

PDXSerric

Post by PDXSerric » Mon May 16, 2016 1:44 pm

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Sat morning, went out at first light and used a combination of TT Blades, roostertail spinners and shallow cranks, nothing. Saw plenty of large trout breaching around us (one quite large,judging by the splash) but nothing was taking the bite.

I've been thinking of trying live minnows on a float, but would rather use lures if possible. If anyone has tips on what lures, locations, retrieves and best times, that'd be great.

On a side note, last Saturday was a beautiful morning with no wind and a pleasant temp until about 9 am, when everything went suddenly cold.

fishpod

Post by fishpod » Mon May 16, 2016 2:45 pm

If you can get live minnows you would be better off fishing them on the bottom, there have been some good redfin caught on ecogear powershad soft plastics, hope that helps and if you want to fish with bait then mudeyes under a float are going ok

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Mon May 16, 2016 3:17 pm

Two of the three trout I've caught in my life have gone for trout pattern rapala lures.

That's my useful contribution for the day.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

PDXSerric

Post by PDXSerric » Tue May 17, 2016 11:39 am

Thanks for the feeback. Again, I hesitate to use live bait for freshwater. I can't even bring myself to use worms LOL

I've tried the rapalas, but have had no success (yet). The TT Blade, (1/8 oz purple shimmer) nabbed the brown in Wendouree, and I am going to try some roostertail spinners next time in Newlyn, but have a difficulty casting the lightweight rappalas to a decent distance, they're so light. I don't troll, so if you have a suggestion on a decent-distance crank or rapala I'd be all ears and eager to try them out.

Cheers

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Tue May 17, 2016 11:45 am

Tassie Devils are good if you need casting distance. Pink ones are supposed to be pretty effective. One of the three trout I've caught in my life was caught on a Tassie devil in the foxy lady colour (pink, silver and green).
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

PDXSerric

Post by PDXSerric » Tue May 17, 2016 3:21 pm

Interesting. I have a few Tassies (not in the colour pattern you've outlined, however). I'll try a combination of the two this weekend. I might start with a spinner and move to tassies and keep my fingers crossed.

Cheers!

Return to “Grampians and Surrounds Fishing Reports”