Post by Buckle&scream » Tue May 03, 2016 11:27 am

Good looking brown mate, well done!

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Re: Nice brown

Post by Redhunter » Tue May 03, 2016 2:25 pm

PDXSerric wrote:
Redhunter wrote:Hi all,
Been a while since I've been for a fish. Have been chasing deer more so over the last 6 months or so, but getting the taste for fishing again...
Decided that this w/e I would concentrate on getting out for a flick, and I got a hot tip that a certain freshwater res was beginning to fire. Bought me a doz mudeyes and decided to give it a crack. While rigging up the 1st rod, I saw a quality trout smelting, and I began to get excited. I punched out a cast and the float was sitting nicely with the mudeye below it. I rigged up and baited my 2nd rod, and punched it out and sat it down. By the time I got back to my 1st rod, the float was gone and the slack line had been taken up. I knew a fish had taken the bait. I grabbed the rod and lifted it to sink the hook, and the 4.2m coarse rod loaded right up. Woo hoo! The fish felt "good", but not "huge", but I played it as if it was the ultimate. She slugged it out along the shoreline, up and back, as most big browns do. It took me 4 shots to bring her within netting distance, which I learnt is difficult on your own with a 14ft rod. The fish then slid into the net, and the game was over, as over 6lb of brown trout hit the deck. Far away from that magical 10lb mark, but a nice fish all the same...
Cheers, Redhunter

Nice fish!

And I think I recognize where you are ;-) I am heading there this weekend if the weather permits... of course, I cast lures. Not floats. Might change it up tho after seeing your brownie!

Cheers
Lol...That fish was caught over 6 months ago! Water levels were low then, so probably a bit worse now. There are big reddies and trout to be had for those who put in the effort, but best never to go there with "expectations". Good luck!

PDXSerric

Post by PDXSerric » Tue May 03, 2016 2:52 pm

Redhunter wrote:
PDXSerric wrote:
Been a while since I've been for a fish. Have been chasing deer more so over the last 6 months or so, but getting the taste for fishing again...
Decided that this w/e I would concentrate on getting out for a flick, and I got a hot tip that a certain freshwater res was beginning to fire. Bought me a doz mudeyes and decided to give it a crack. While rigging up the 1st rod, I saw a quality trout smelting, and I began to get excited. I punched out a cast and the float was sitting nicely with the mudeye below it. I rigged up and baited my 2nd rod, and punched it out and sat it down. By the time I got back to my 1st rod, the float was gone and the slack line had been taken up. I knew a fish had taken the bait. I grabbed the rod and lifted it to sink the hook, and the 4.2m coarse rod loaded right up. Woo hoo! The fish felt "good", but not "huge", but I played it as if it was the ultimate. She slugged it out along the shoreline, up and back, as most big browns do. It took me 4 shots to bring her within netting distance, which I learnt is difficult on your own with a 14ft rod. The fish then slid into the net, and the game was over, as over 6lb of brown trout hit the deck. Far away from that magical 10lb mark, but a nice fish all the same...
Cheers, Redhunter

Nice fish!

And I think I recognize where you are ;-) I am heading there this weekend if the weather permits... of course, I cast lures. Not floats. Might change it up tho after seeing your brownie!

Cheers
Lol...That fish was caught over 6 months ago! Water levels were low then, so probably a bit worse now. There are big reddies and trout to be had for those who put in the effort, but best never to go there with "expectations". Good luck!
Yeah well, if it is where I am thinking it is, the levels are quite low still. Hoping the colder weather brings the trout out – realize it’s a little low for reddies. And I never go anywhere with ‘expectations’ unless it’s a paid charter LOL

poppy62
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poppy62 » Tue May 03, 2016 4:34 pm

Top fish there... Envious..

kahlua_khan

Post by kahlua_khan » Thu May 05, 2016 12:37 pm

Cheers, Redhunter
Fantastic fish mate. I'm looking to do a bit a deer chasing myself soon would you have any tips on locations?

Return to “Grampians and Surrounds Fishing Reports”