Rocklands

Birdman

Rocklands

Post by Birdman » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:19 pm

Neighbor went to Rocklands today, was there early trolling and bait fishing. Unfortunately it was a doughnut trip, the water is still very cold in deeper areas. Another mate was at Heinzes last week and caught several carp in some of the shallow water areas which seems to verify the info I got today. As I went past Green Lake today there were several boats on the go, indicating there may still be a few fish moving there, however they seem to be a bit patchy still. Stopped in at Dimboola, at the Wimmera River last week just for a look, and it's looking real fishy! Think that will be worth a
crack soon. There are reports of a few yellas coming out of the river near Horsham, one bloke at golf on Saturday caught a 2kg yella on peeled prawn...
My hobbies are fishing and golf, I guess I just like frustration..

benders
Has liked: 169 times

Re: Rocklands

Post by benders » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:32 pm

Great report. Going to have to head west soon

Birdman

Post by Birdman » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:03 pm

Starting to shape up around here benders, I reckon Green lake will be a hotspot this year!

Growlermz

Post by Growlermz » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:36 am

what is the go to fish at Rocklands Reservoir?
I remember going there as a kid with my parents and meeting my grandparents there, we would go out on my grandfathers boat for a fish.
I don't remember ever catching anything but at that age I was just happy to be on the water having some fun. I would like to get back there this summer for a weekend, which brings up another question, are there many good campsites there?

Freshfishin

Post by Freshfishin » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:16 am

The problem with green lake will be all the water skiers when things warm up.

Freshfishin

Post by Freshfishin » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:24 am

Rocklands is a fantastic place in my opinion. And one of the few places left that you can camp at without paying a fee. If you want to full on bush camp there are plenty of places to camp, an easy one to access is broadies it's a good spot to camp and you can launch a boat off the bank. If you are looking for amenities there is a caravan park at the wall and also a few holiday shacks there. There is another caravan park at hynes camp ground on the east side just off the Henty highway

Birdman

Post by Birdman » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:57 pm

Got the rest of the info today, water temp was 13 degrees but the water quality is great, a stump jumper could be seen down to about 10 feet. There are heaps of spots to camp and launch a boat, either in popular spots or secluded, whatever you prefer. Water level is down only a little on last year so there is plenty of deep water still there. There is also still a little bit of late run off from the grampians trickling in. It will be well worth a look as the temperature come up!

Freshfishin

Post by Freshfishin » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:20 pm

Thanks for the update birdman, I need to get down there again soon, but with work the afl grandfinal and a trip up the murray in the coming month time may pass very quickly

Return to “Grampians and Surrounds Fishing Reports”