A few plate size sand crabs.

Bugatti

Re: A few plate size sand crabs.

Post by Bugatti » Tue May 07, 2019 11:26 pm

justabloke wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:20 pm
Ahhh, the old sand crab, bane of the surf fisho on the 90 Mile but very nice to eat. My son usually gets them when we catch a few. I've often stood on them when wading the surf, much to my surprise and the crab's too I'd imagine he he. They tend to burrow into the sand a bit. Many years ago I was fishing in a boat at Port Welshpool and there was an absolute swarm of the things. We were pulling them up one after another, often with two on the rig. We kept a very nice feed and enjoyed them very much - lovely! I'm only about a 15 minute drive from the 90 Mile beach but have been a bit too sick to fish much. Hope to get down there again soon enough and get in some relaxing fishing. A good thread this, thanks!
G'day Justabloke, hope you are feeling better soon, to be able to hit the 90 mile.

My mate Don, against all my efforts, got me into surf fishing, mainly Salt Creek and Goolwa/Murray Mouth , , , , and I love it. But being with Don (and his annoying but lovable brother) makes the trip. BBQ for breakfast, lunch and dinner. But it is a great way to pass the time.

Hope you get out soon.

Cheers Bugatti

Bugatti

Re: A few plate size sand crabs.

Post by Bugatti » Tue May 07, 2019 11:29 pm

rb85 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 8:24 pm
justabloke wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:20 pm
Ahhh, the old sand crab, bane of the surf fisho on the 90 Mile but very nice to eat. My son usually gets them when we catch a few. I've often stood on them when wading the surf, much to my surprise and the crab's too I'd imagine he he. They tend to burrow into the sand a bit. Many years ago I was fishing in a boat at Port Welshpool and there was an absolute swarm of the things. We were pulling them up one after another, often with two on the rig. We kept a very nice feed and enjoyed them very much - lovely! I'm only about a 15 minute drive from the 90 Mile beach but have been a bit too sick to fish much. Hope to get down there again soon enough and get in some relaxing fishing. A good thread this, thanks!
Great Gummy bait cut one in half and cast back out.
One of the best little known facts of The Whyalla Snapper Competition and large Snapper in general, is that some of the biggest Snapper caught are on half a Blue swimmer Crab

Gives the pilchards a bit of a reprieve.

Cheers, The Bug

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”