KGW Gippsland Lakes

Pirkz
Has liked: 229 times

Re: KGW Gippsland Lakes- A game of two halves

Post by Pirkz » Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:27 am

Long story short as Ive chores to do! Visited Paynesville tackle shop on Tues and ended up chatting about hooks, tackle and anything fishy with a nice bloke (Ty) who was up from the city on holiday. He was keen to catch something with fins of size and was looking for local information regarding what was about - from the bank. Not really my style, so being a gregarious generous sort of bloke, and bearing the short story short nature of this post (which is already getting longer), I ended up inviting him out the next morning in my Stessco tinny for some KGW action. So 7 am Wed,unusually with a plus one, I launched with a complete stranger - the only real bond between us at the time being our individual fishing exeriences past and present and, my expectation and his anticpation of fish for T! Breeze was up a bit, water cloudier than usual but we soon settled down in one of the East of Raymond spots and focused on .. well not really the fishing, more so on a bit of banter and mateship and shared life experiences - and me being the senior by 15 years he ended up being more of the listener - which if you speak to my wife you will know that suits me just fine -with or without alchohol! Local (and global) stories poured forth by yours truly, including an introduction to this site and its KGW pages and all was well in the world. Coupla small bream came aboard (good - my guest has not blanked - tick box) and then ... aaaand then.. he caught a 38 cm KGW ! Bugger me ...(surprise on my part) but job done - the tackle shop hope had become reality and he was stoked saying that he never realised that such quality fish could be found in the Lakes! Anyway all went quiet therafter - apart from me of course - so we moved further up to Wollaston and by the time his time (sorry repetition) was up 3 hrs later (domestic committments with his better half left ashore) he had notched up 3 more to my 1 - biggest 41 ish. Back to the ramp we exchanged contact details and he even offered to buy my boat should I wish to sell - which I will later this year and Im now looking for a decent 4 stroke powered centre console! So all good as they say in these parts - and they had fish for T so mission accomplished.
Though I hadnt caught much (spoiler alert ) yet, it didnt matter as it was a great experience getting to know another fisho and having a captive listener aboard ...ha ha (sorry Ty). And its always nice, in my book at least to add to someones East Gippy holiday experience if and when you can (and fits my good deed of the day mantra). Fishless (mine donated to his haul) the second big decision of the day had arrived. And at only 1100am I was left pondering what to do with the rest of my day. Bait left - check Fuel left - Check Wife working from home-double check. Bugger it,no point going home then to get in the way and try and look busy, so I thought that Id head back out with the intent on catching a few more KGW and have a banter with a few of the usuual suspects left out on their marks. 4 hrs hrs, 15 litres of fuel, $10 worth of prawns, some pricelss banter and 16 KGW to 43 later, I called it a day .. albeit another bloody good day on the Lakes - thankyou Gippsland. Off overseas shortly (work not play) for a month or so, so will need to get a few more KGW in the freezer before I go.
So watch this space! A pic just to add colour - as you know what a few KGW look like by now!
Tight Lines
Pirkz
Attachments
07FEB Mark102.jpg
Last edited by Pirkz on Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Elmer Stratty
Has liked: 56 times

Re: KGW Gippsland Lakes

Post by Elmer Stratty » Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:37 pm

Pirkz, you’re not improving my wife’s mood…although I probably shouldn’t have shown her your post. 😬

We launched from Newlands at 7am Wednesday, just behind the Breamers in their bass boats and went to the second marker east of the island. No nibbles, no lost baits, nadda, zilch. Upped the pick and off to Shaving Point.

Only stayed a few minutes as the Bream comp guys were creeping towards us.

Then went to the Barrier and Nyerimilang with no luck. Back to Nungurner for some fun on undersized pinkies and flatties all thrown back before calling it a day and returning to Newlands.

Sounds like I should have slept in and hit east of the island around 11 😝

E

Pirkz

Post by Pirkz » Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:45 pm

Elmer well I got another 11 the following day following the same protocol which is to....well that would be telling the other 2 readers. Oh go on then.... as they are not my fish...I shall be out tomorrow 7 - 10 doing just this. Travel across to the middle of Wollaston Bay ..maybe a tad East. Find a golden glow in about 2.1m amongst darker patches of weed or thereabouts.Anchor up generally noisily as I'm a clumsy bugger. Toss a 1cm lump of prawn on a flowing trace into the sandy bit and....wait ...and hopefully catch. If not move and repeat. It's worked all week to date so thats KGW 0 and me 12. 13 16 11 roughly...Hope this helps your wifes faith in you ... if not let her drive and captain for the day...it ain't easy being sort of responsible for the days catch as many of us know.They are there though....
Tight Lines
Pirkz

Paulanderson
Has liked: 63 times

Post by Paulanderson » Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:29 pm

Pirkz is sure killing them - managed another 2 decent KGW at the Barrier Landing area early in the week and now at home with Covid - the wind can blow all it likes for the next week or so!

Pirkz

Post by Pirkz » Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:57 am

Err not quite killing em...fished 7.30 -1030 today using the above approach for 1 @ 33 who was released anyway as bites were few and far between. Think I will try a new area next week - Sperm Whale Head as a 46 was pulled out down that way today according to the Loch Sport Angling club FB page
Pirkz

Bearsarge
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Bearsarge » Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:15 pm

Thanks for a cracking day on the water Nick.
How good is it, that a friendly chat in a tackle shop can lead to a new fishing mate.
As fishermen many of us share a common bond, and willingness to learn and share.
It’s an incredible pastime, be it catching, or just time spent on the water.
Sharing local knowledge, a few stories and the love of fishing is my definition of a great day.
Good luck on the KGW over the next few weeks.
I’ll be keeping an eye out on here to see how you go.
Cheers Ty

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Post by re-tyred » Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:26 pm

I gave it a go today. Tried Woolaston bay. Lot of small bream. Moved to Carstairs bank for 0. Tried east of Raymond Is for ). went back to Woolaston and managed 2 large KGBs. Thought it was on but after that just small Bream again. Hard going this year for sure
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Pirkz

Post by Pirkz » Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:19 pm

Yep only 3 for me today in the shallows to the south of the channel to Ocean Grange. Mooched about off Sperm Whale Head for a bit ..saw some nice kgw shoaled up albeit fleetingly. Loch Sport FB page reporting some nice fish from that SWH general area.
Pirkz

ango

Post by ango » Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:56 pm

Hard yakka today, I was on the water at 7.30 am, and fished south of Raymond island, Carstairs Bank, Woolaston Bay, result was 2 whiting, 33 & 42 cm, a couple of undersize whiting, some small bream, and the biggest toady I have ever caught, I ought to be happy with a new PB but do toadies count?
I saw plenty of whiting swimming around but they were mostly pretty small.
Cheers
Ango.

Pirkz

Re: KGW Gippsland Lakes - Hard Yaka Defo

Post by Pirkz » Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:15 pm

Yep also out as a guest this time on another 'New' mayts boat. Fished over towards Sperm Whale head to begin with then crossed over the channel to fish the flats by the 3rd red peg. All up only 7 between us plus a good un dropped at the boat plus numerous undersize bream. Report from a fellow fisher currently moored up to the South of the Ocean Grange channel indicated a double figure haul on mussel between 2 ....ongoing
Tight Lines
Pirkz

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”