Lakes entrance squid fishing

erictsai

Lakes entrance squid fishing

Post by erictsai » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:57 pm

Hi guys,
I am heading off to lakes entrance next month and will be there for a week. Gonna be land based, and willing to drive a little bit if needed. Any suggestions of spots to fish squid?

Cheers :-D

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Re: Lakes entrance suqid fishing

Post by Sebb » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:58 pm

Not sure about squid, but its a good time to fish for salmon and tailor this time of year. Possibly trevally too.
Fish anywhere in the lake system for trevally and the surf for salmon and tailor
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:30 pm

As far as I know L.E isn't really known for its squid fishing, nor is anywhere really in East Gippsland. Better off targeting other species imo, such as flathead or bream.

StarrangerAU
Has liked: 58 times

Post by StarrangerAU » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:24 pm

As Seb and Kimtown have already said... you'll probably be better to target the Flathead or Bream in the lake system, or the salmon on the surf-side. Squid don't seem to be a LE thing.... once upon a time prawns were the catch of choice in LE.

IF you are there for the week and would like to get mobile on the water...when I was at Lake Tyers / Lakes Entrance during Easter I hired a yak from Gippsland Lakes Kayak Hire. I was very impressed with the yak (complete with lowrance sounder) all the safety bits and bobs, dry bags, and a sea anchor too. The family running the show were also very helpful. https://www.gippslandlakeskayakhire.com.au/

fishnut
Has liked: 28 times

Post by fishnut » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:54 pm

StarrangerAU wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:24 pm
As Seb and Kimtown have already said... you'll probably be better to target the Flathead or Bream in the lake system, or the salmon on the surf-side. Squid don't seem to be a LE thing.... once upon a time prawns were the catch of choice in LE.

IF you are there for the week and would like to get mobile on the water...when I was at Lake Tyers / Lakes Entrance during Easter I hired a yak from Gippsland Lakes Kayak Hire. I was very impressed with the yak (complete with lowrance sounder) all the safety bits and bobs, dry bags, and a sea anchor too. The family running the show were also very helpful. https://www.gippslandlakeskayakhire.com.au/
Prawns usually only during warmer months

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Re: Lakes entrance squid fishing

Post by smile0784 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:00 pm

There's not many squid down there.
More prawns then anything else

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Post by re-tyred » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:41 pm

Squid do occasionally get caught in the lake at the footbridge and barrier landing. Off shore mostly during the warmer moths of autumn. This time of the year you would be chasing salmon on the beaches and in the lake. Bream in the rivers and lake tyers
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:19 pm

Can’t recall hearing too much about lb squid fishing down there mate.
If I was you I’d be going for the sambos and tailors off the surf :thumbsup:

Tackleberry
Has liked: 301 times

Post by Tackleberry » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:14 am

Salmon yes but with the water temp below 16* skippys are a big ask ......
"When the people fear the Govn't, that is Tyrany, when the Govn't fear the people, that is Liberty"

Experience is what you get when **** happens

bucaneer
Has liked: 2 times

Post by bucaneer » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:09 am

I don't personally fish for squid, but I do live in Lakes. There most certainly is squid at Lakes Entrance and they catch them from the Lakes footbridge. Trevally and bream from the new floating jetty next to the footbridge and probably from any of the other jetties in town. The surf has been really quiet the last few weeks, but always worth a try. Best method there is casting silver metal lures and keep moving until you find the fish. I often start at Bunga Beach and walk/cast all the way to Red Bluff, nearly 2 klm and back. Last 2 hours of the run in is best.

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”