Inverloch/Andersons Inlet - This weekend 6/7?

StarrangerAU
Has liked: 58 times

Inverloch/Andersons Inlet - This weekend 6/7?

Post by StarrangerAU » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:34 pm

Folks,
Two things...

A) Am looking to do a run down to Inverloch this Saturday morning (6/7), and aside from what I can google about with respect to recent fishing reports, can anyone pass on any note worthy action that might have been recently happening down at the Jetty or at the inlet in general.

B) Has anyone ventured out along this sandbar (circled below) at low tide? How did that work out for you? Cracking spot, good, bad, or don't bother? Of course I can go check it out myself, but was curious if anyone else had a good/bad experience in that spot before I lug my gear out along that bar.

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
Capture.JPG

Matty H

Re: Inverloch/Andersons Inlet - This weekend 6/7?

Post by Matty H » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:25 pm

Don’t, very soft sand, rapid tidal flow. There are good fish in that channel, but access the one halfway back to the boat ramp where it comes in much closer to the beach. That big sand bar is excellent for pumping bass yabbies however, which are your best bait option in the inlet. Very worthwhile soaking a small live mullet in that channel....

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:43 pm

How deep do you enjoy sinking? It gets VERY soft the closer to the channel you get

StarrangerAU

Post by StarrangerAU » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:11 pm

Matty H wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:25 pm
...That big sand bar is excellent for pumping bass yabbies however, which are your best bait option in the inlet. Very worthwhile soaking a small live mullet in that channel....
Might be time to invest in a yabby pump today :-)

Otherwise soaking a mullet was the intention... I was inspired by Smokin' Reels catch of the week in the CBD this week and thought to emulate his success and also try for a Jewie/Mulloway on a big bait/livey at high tide (3am) from the jetty , or at low tide from that sand bar.

cobby wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:43 pm
How deep do you enjoy sinking? It gets VERY soft the closer to the channel you get
I was only going to venture out on the run-out tide (bottom of the tide is at 7.48am), and high tail it back in after it turned. Appreciate the for-warning its exactly why I asked.

Appreciate the response gents... will heed your warnings and venture safely (if at all)

Vargs

Post by Vargs » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:52 pm

That area you circled is fine to fish and very stable if you stay east of screw creek. You get there by driving all the way to though the caravan park and there is a small parking area in the dead end. The area is very popular for pumping nippers, which are a very good bait at Inverloch. You will only be able to cast into the deeper channel at low tide and the current will be strong once the tide changes. the area is full of toadies and small flathead (15-20cm).

There is a mixed bag available there for baits near the bottom and the salmon pass through this time of year, but usually more plentiful more towards town. I find Inverloch very hit or miss for the last few years.

StarrangerAU

Post by StarrangerAU » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:53 pm

Vargs wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:52 pm
....... I find Inverloch very hit or miss for the last few years.
Thanks for the tips Vargs. Yes, likewise I have found the inlet either quite good or absolute doughnuts with not a lot in between during the past few years. Which is why I thought maybe to move about and seek a spot I hadn't tried previously.

Well I purchased the yabby pump today, so I guess I'm committed now. Who knows I just might have a top session.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:11 pm

It’s fun collecting yabbies and they are a top bait!
Good luck this weekend mate.
Cheers :thumbsup:

Matty H

Post by Matty H » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:56 pm

I’ve had some really good sessions off the beach to the left of the jetty, off to the right of the jetty looks better but fishes poorly. Not the beach in front of the rocks, go further along til you’re just in front of the sand dunes. Nice hard sand and very short cast to the channel. Always best on incoming tide. Never got round to live baiting here, but oversized flatties, gummies, and mulloway all call the inlet home. Overwhelmingly, no one ever sticks big baits out here, completely untested IMO. At worst big schools of small salmon, trevally, whiting and mullet will move through.

FishHunter81

Post by FishHunter81 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:50 pm

Hi guys. I'm catching the Tuesday and Wednesday this week as its looking like the best of weather. I know I've asked about surf beach at Venus bay before but just wanted to know if winds here effect casting like it does at gunnamata? Want to spend morning near the pier and then stay night in Venus bay fishing the surf. Thanks in advance for any replies.

FishHunter81

Post by FishHunter81 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:19 pm

Also does anyone know if you can access the far tip beach area of Venus bay (side that faces inverloch). Looks deep and castable for lb in this area

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”