Flathead and Salmon

re-tyred
Has liked: 374 times

Flathead and Salmon

Post by re-tyred » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:05 pm

Been away in Tassie for a while and the weather has made it difficult to get out this last week. Today looked ok but with a bit of left over wind swell from last nights brief SW change. I waited till the start of the flood tide in the entrance so at 0830 launched and headed down to the entrance with the thought of casting a lure around next to the eastern pier. Once at the entrance it looked better than I thought offshore so I just kept going and headed a mile or so down the west to try for a few flatties. Set up a drift in 18mtrs and pretty quickly had the tap tap of a smallish flathead. Hooked him and up came a 32cm Blue spot flatty. Not big but a keeper. After a few more bites and misses I landed another a bit bigger. two hours later I had ten with the first two being the smallest and the rest in the high 30s to low 40cm. Plus one banjo that had me thinking I might have a gummy. Well headed back in and the bar was pretty calm so pulled over to the east of the rock wall just off the beach breach and threw in a silver lure. Tide was screaming in and quickly sucked me into the entrance. at the same time I had a massive wack and out goes the line. Tightened the drag and had a large salmon on. So as the boat the salmon and I rapidly travelled up the channel I fought it to the boat and netted it to cheers from spectators standing on the rock walls. Probably close to 2kg. Donged it on the head and bled it threw it in the esky with the flathead and powered back down the channel and around the eastern wall for another go. Couple of cast and many gear changes trying to maintain my position and wack again. Repeated the fight and the zoom up the channel on the tide. This one really put up a fight. Kept taking line and powering under the boat. By the time I had it within a mtr or two I was nearly up to Bullock island. It just wouldn't give up. Had about three goes getting in the net with it flipping out each time. Finally in and onboard. Probably the biggest salmon I have caught there. So home for lunch and clean the fish.
Attachments
IMG_20190324_150841_501.jpg
fish 2.jpg
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Flathead and Salmon

Post by Lightningx » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:11 pm

Nice report and pics mate.
Good catch :thumbsup:

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:04 pm

Good catch mate
Great read

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:06 pm

Good stuff mate. I love chasing salmon. They are easy to target most times and fight really well.
Will be down there for Easter. Might hit you up for some advice then.
Cheers

re-tyred
Has liked: 374 times

Post by re-tyred » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:47 pm

Converted one salmon into bait. Hopefully convert it to flatties or gummy next week.
Skinned and boned the other, So salmon fillet each and two flathead fillets each for dinner. Three feeds of flattie fillets in the freezer for next weeks dinners. They will go well with the scallops I have been hording in the freezer.
Not bad for 3hrs and 6 litres of fuel.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:58 pm

Not bad at all mate.
Enjoy the feed :thumbsup:

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”