Marlo again

smokin_reels
Has liked: 308 times

Marlo again

Post by smokin_reels » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:57 pm

Guys,

Im going to be camped at corringle this weekend, driving up there tomorrow.
Will be fishing the estuary off the kayak for the most part.
Anyone up there, give me a holler :thumbsup:

Red Hobie Outback.

cheers

Aaron

:a_goodjob:
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Marlo again

Post by Lightningx » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:09 pm

Good luck mate. Hope you do well!
Looking forward to the report :thumbsup:

tbcha1
Has liked: 12 times

Post by tbcha1 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:53 pm

smokin_reels wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:57 pm
Guys,

Red Hobie Outback.

cheers

Aaron

Good luck! hope you do better than my friend who just went up last weekend for 3 days. He said it was really slow compared to how it was in early Feb this year when we were up there. He hit the spots we did well at which was the stretch of river outside that caravan park and only got 1 bream at around 31cm. He tried some bait one afternoon and said something bit through his line so maybe tailors are around. He spoke to a few others who were there and it was quiet for them as well.

cant wait for you report back as well as i really love that area. Not just the fishing but how scenic it is as well

smokin_reels

Post by smokin_reels » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:59 am

Just got back from another good weekend.
The mouth isn't as open as it was earlier in the year and the levels were up a fair bit. I think that's what is slowing down the fishing.
That being said, the avg size of fish I was catching this time around were better.

I spent 3/4 sessions on Friday and Saturday paddling.
Ended up with a few good bream and estuary perch and flathead in the session.
I also released a whole heap of tailor and kept a few larger ones for bait.
I managed to avoid getting spiked by any of the flatties all weekend, small victory that involved a larger landing net, lip grips and not mucking around with pictures of lizards. :rofl:

Stand out lures for the trip were,
- Jackall Squirell - suji prawn
- Daiwa Double clutch - Lemon squash and rusty ayu
- Daiwa Spike - Black and brown suji prawn
- OSP bent minnow , Pink head and Ayu gold
- Zman 2.5inch Grubz - motor oil
perch2.jpg
Perch 3.jpg
Perch 1.jpg
Bream 2.jpg
Bream 1.jpg

Probably caught fish on all the lures i tied on, but then again my choices were fairly conservative

I ran into some good bream up river in some snags , a direction I headed in when the wind had picked up. Was fairly sheltered, there are some sections that had old sunken moorings, maz and i had fish there last time. this time was no different, the bream fight hard and dirty! Stuck to plastics here, and turned the kayak out into open water as soon as i hooked up and had to skull drag the fish out. intense!

Only casualty lure wise, was a bent minnow that i lost to an EP that ran straight into a reed bed and broke me off. I had a nice one the previous cast that I was lucky enough to tease out.
:oops:

the last session, i decided to have a crack on the surf beach for sharks again. The weather was perfect, with northerlies and the ocean was calm. 1m swells, full moon.
Spinning some metals in the afternoon had me pick up some salmon amongst all the bait fisherman.
Salmon .jpg
As darkness fell, a fresh salmon cutlet went out on a 6/0. Rod got slammed down 15 min later. Massive headshakes and a near unstoppable first run, I just about turned it when the toothie bit through my leader. I was spewing that I had lost a good bronzie. (safe bet thats what it was )

I kept fishing and ran out of hooks eventually to all the trash that came as by catch, some large skates , stingrays, port jacksons.

Next time, im crimping down some wire on a big circle.

Back to Melbourne now, tired and refreshed and binge watching shark videos.

I also was able to stand cast lures out of my kayak, something that I had always wanted to do. :)
A very memorable weekend , even if the highlights were a bust off and a bite off .
SUP.jpg
:banana:
Attachments
selfie.JPG
Paddling.jpg
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:18 am

Good stuff man.. gotta be happy with that.

smokin_reels

Post by smokin_reels » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:28 am

Yes P5, very happy!

smokin_reels

Post by smokin_reels » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:39 am

Also, this was a first.
Mullet on hb.jpg

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:34 am

smokin_reels wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:57 pm
Guys,

Red Hobie Outback.

cheers

Aaron

Aaron, love that you put the call out for anyone to join you :thumbsup:

smokin_reels wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:59 am

I managed to avoid getting spiked by any of the flatties all weekend, small victory that involved a larger landing net, lip grips and not mucking around with pictures of lizards. :rofl:

I also was able to stand cast lures out of my kayak, something that I had always wanted to do. :)
A very memorable weekend , even if the highlights were a bust off and a bite off .

Sounds like you had a great trip of it Aaron. And great achievement stand casting too, and some nice fish too.
, , , , I bet the knees were hesitant, but well done.

On the no Lizard photos , , , , something tells me it may be to avoid another crocodile comparison.

croc.PNG

Well, my good man, that won't stop the Bugatti

Your Salmon photo reminds me of an Ol' John Wayne movie , , , , The sands of Iwo Jima

sands of 4.jpg
Sands of.jpeg
sands of 3.jpg

Thanks for the report, has a real "feel good" feeling about it.

Cheers, Bugatti

smokin_reels

Post by smokin_reels » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:44 am

[\quote}

On the no Lizard photos , , , , something tells me it may be to avoid another crocodile comparison.

[/quote]

I have standards now when it comes to flathead :tongue:

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:57 am

smokin_reels wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:44 am

I have standards now when it comes to flathead :tongue:

I should adopt the same, I think.

Don and I came across a picky bunch of Whiting, that had a hungry bunch of undersize flathead with them. We caught about 15 undersized flathead each , , , , and got spiked 30+ times each too. Never thought of using the rag that was a foot away, except to wipe the slime and blood away from our hands.

Truth be told, we try avoiding using a rag, when unhooking fish we know we are not keeping and going to release.

They should make bandades the shape of a hand for times like these.

Cheers

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”