Lakes entrance run 28/7

crumpet_avenger
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Lakes entrance run 28/7

Post by crumpet_avenger » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:42 pm

ango wrote:Looks like the reefs are firing, for my future reference, what type and size hooks are you using? I generally use 3/0 circles but I think it will be a struggle to hook jackets with these.
Cheers
Ango.
I often catch big leatherjackets down the bottom end of westernport and you need a long shank hook.
Ive caught leather jackets up to 55cm in length.
They would just chomp over circles.
I tried light wire trace but it gets snagged all the time in the thick kelp.

Also tried snap swivels and plastic/rubber beading and tubing but this all gets caught in weed. The biggest longshank you can find works well for me and also hooks whiting... i cant remember the hook size number as ive taken the hooks out of the pack and put in my tackle box tray for easy access.

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:38 pm

Nice trip out

I would take fresh snapper over leather jackets

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Post by re-tyred » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:19 am

Winter fishing off Lakes Entrance. 2/0 and 3/0, fish slack line with a mix of squid and Pillies. The advantage of this is that you get jackets and mowies as well as pinkies Let the fish take a bit of line before you hit it. If it is quiet for 15 minutes or so move short distances till you find the patch.
Once the big fish start in October (when the water temp passes 15-16 deg) 4/0 and 5/0 whole pillies paternoster rigs. They hit hard so no need for slack line.
If you get a year like last year where the water temp goes over 20deg, go to the deeper reefs. 40-45meters depth.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Hosery

Post by Hosery » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:56 am

ango wrote:Looks like the reefs are firing, for my future reference, what type and size hooks are you using? I generally use 3/0 circles but I think it will be a struggle to hook jackets with these.
Cheers
Ango.
Hey mate mostly in winter I use a 2/0 or 3/0 kl circles. Works fairly well on everything down there. If the fish are only picking i use I think it's about a size 2 in a j hook dynamite on everything. The key is light line and small baits. I go chasing the pinkies but always have someone with squid on and the jackets are a welcome bicatch. My mates take the pinkies for the table and I keep the jackets. :thumbsup:

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”