Lakes Entrance report.

ango

Lakes Entrance report.

Post by ango » Mon May 07, 2018 9:02 pm

Hi All,
I managed to get out from Lakes earlier today, conditions were very smooth and I did not have to slow down to avoid the tinny pounding the crap out of me for once. I was aiming to get a gummy or two, but no luck there, and every time I hooked what I thought was a good sized flattie it turned into a gurnard on the way up. Plenty of dolphins about, they come right up to the boat a couple of times. Anyway I did not go home empty handed, I ended up keeping 6 flatties, the mark on the board is 33cm and they go back if below this. Action was steady, plenty of rubbish to work through, gurnards, a couple of stingrays, small couta (PITA but great bait for gummies) and plenty of smaller flatties.
Cheers
Ango.
Attachments
m_IMG_1043 - Copy.jpg

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Lakes Entrance report.

Post by Lightningx » Mon May 07, 2018 10:10 pm

Nice catch of flatties.
Well done and enjoy the feed :thumbsup:

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Tue May 08, 2018 1:09 am

Glad you got a feed

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Post by re-tyred » Tue May 08, 2018 3:15 pm

Yes it is slowing u a bit now the water has cooled. I haven't been able to get out for a while as I have been away. A mate that I fish with bagged out on pinkies a few days ago. Out side the 6 mile
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Wed May 09, 2018 7:43 am

Good on you for not keeping little fish. I reckon the legal 27cm for a flattie is too small...it's a waste of a fish because the fillets are so tiny (it's easy to overcook them if your doing them in breadcrumbs as well)

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Wed May 09, 2018 9:49 am

I agree with that. They are like tiny fish fingers by the time you fillet them and skin them at that size.

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Post by re-tyred » Thu May 10, 2018 3:06 am

I never keep flatties under 30cm. They have a good survival rate and why take tiny ones.
Had a Cpl of hour fishing out on the six mile yesterday for 6 pinkies all 34-38cm. Taking squid or fresh coota. Nice day flat calm. Love the Autumn and winter fishing. Typical pinky soft bites , need to give them some slang line to get them to swallow the bait. So back to running sinkers for a few months.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Hosery

Post by Hosery » Thu May 10, 2018 8:59 am

re-tyred wrote:I never keep flatties under 30cm. They have a good survival rate and why take tiny ones.
Had a Cpl of hour fishing out on the six mile yesterday for 6 pinkies all 34-38cm. Taking squid or fresh coota. Nice day flat calm. Love the Autumn and winter fishing. Typical pinky soft bites , need to give them some slang line to get them to swallow the bait. So back to running sinkers for a few months.
Yeah I agree with others flatties just size are a bit to small.

Winter fishing for me on the pinkies is mostly paternoster rig. 15-20lb soft leader. Smallest sinker possible And small J hooks. Very small baits. So that when you get a bite you hook up instantly. Good success with pilchard fillets also. I've found late arvo till last light can fish better. But I put that down to most of the time I'm the only boat out there.

That's works well when the fish are on can't fish 2 rods. When it's a bit slower 2 rods 1 with a slack line and 1 with the above. Both seem to get similar amounts of fish. That's just what works for me.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Thu May 10, 2018 9:04 am

re-tyred wrote:I never keep flatties under 30cm. They have a good survival rate and why take tiny ones.
Nice feed of pinkies there :thumbsup:

All ways fishin

Post by All ways fishin » Fri May 11, 2018 7:48 am

Well done ango! I hope to get out for a fish soon once wooding is over .
Cheers

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”