Lake Tyers

ImTheDave

Lake Tyers

Post by ImTheDave » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:15 pm

First day of the long weekend and finally caught a (some) fish!! :-D

Did an early morning stint at sandblasted jetty at Lakes Entrance while the wife played around with her crab nets but nothing was biting.
Went up to boat ramp 2 at Lake Tyers about 10am until 3pm

I knew it would be low tide so wasn’t really expecting much but there were huge fish swimming in shoals right up to the beach. You could almost scoop them out with a net. Tried so hard to catch one but they wouldn’t bite. I’m not actually sure what they were. They didn’t look like flatheads, maybe mullet? Very big though.

Used a mixture of prawns and some plastics between us. Plastics got nothing but the prawns caught a lot of bream. Unfortunately all were around the 25cm mark so they all ended up back for another day.

The wife (who was far more successful than me) bagged a salmon just over 30cm so we’re cooking that one up tonight!

Score so far:
Me: 1 bream :-D
Daughter: 6 bream and a toadie
Wife: 10 bream, 1 Salmon (keeper) plus 1 very long thin fish we couldn’t identify, about 30 cm

My excuse is I had to keep stopping to help the wife and daughter take their fish off so didn’t have much actually fishing time....

May try somewhere else nearby tomorrow.

One question though, how can you keep the prawns on the hook? I had so many bites but missed the strike and the fish had just sucked the bait off.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Re: Lake Tyers

Post by smile0784 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:22 pm

Good effort by all

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:59 pm

Sounds like a great days fishing with the family. That’s what it’s all about.
Nice work :thumbsup:

jasew3

Post by jasew3 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:30 pm

Try bait mate to keep bait on the hook its similar to thin cotton thread .. just wrap it around the bait when on the hook and it gives u a better chance...

Lajon

Post by Lajon » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:49 pm

To keep a soft bait from continuously getting stolen, try the seafood cocktail. Aka a small piece of a stronger bait like squid on after the prawn. Worst case the squid will hold and continue to tempt the fish if you don’t realise the prawn is gone

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:54 pm

Squid wont work well in an estuary system.
Use the fresh prawns but peel them and use smaller bits rather than the whole prawn. And use the smallest or no sinker at all.
To identify what fish you are catching download the vic fishing app on your phone. It has all species available in victoria, size limits and other info in there

FishnMiss
Has liked: 10 times

Post by FishnMiss » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:50 pm

I believe this fish are mullet & I don’t know anyone who has caught one.
They jump out the water too while you’re flicking plastics for flatties but you won’t catch one. It’s been suggested using a float with some bait drifting may work.
Great place Tyers
Have they pulled the fishing trawler off the beach yet?
" For Evil to triumph, all that Good people have to do is - Nothing "

ImTheDave

Post by ImTheDave » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:42 pm

Thanks for the tips.
Spent the day at Lake Tyres again before heading back down to Bullock island. Just one small salmon all day and very few bites but it was a good day all the same.
Wife has collected a box of mussels for later down on bullock island :-)

That said, I went to pick up some bait this morning and the guy mentioned Eastern Beach for salmon on the surf. He’d been there around 6am and showed me 6 huge ones he’d caught. We went down for about half hour but didn’t really have the right rigs for the conditions so left but there were around 30people there literally catching two at a time, all around 50-60cm plus. As soon as they cast out, they would pull them in. I asked a guy and he said it’s been like it all week.
The water is so clear there you could actually see the salmon swimming through the breakers.

Just picked up some bigger hooks, lures and pilchards and will be going there for first light tomorrow!

Time for a beer now!

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:48 pm

So lake tyres entrance is open? Does that effect the prawning at all?

ImTheDave

Post by ImTheDave » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:32 pm

No. I made myself sound a right noobie...
Some guy asked how it was going. ‘I said nothing biting but then I guess it is low tide’

He pointed to the sand banks right beside us and said, ‘lakes closed mate. No tides in here...’

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”