Powlett River bait catching (mullet)

Robbo94

Powlett River bait catching (mullet)

Post by Robbo94 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:29 pm

Hey all,

Heading out after some gummy sharks tomorrow arvo/night so I thought it would be a good chance to catch mullet at the Powlett River as it was also a great way to introduce my mate to fishing for the first time

Got to the car park at 9pm and unfortunately there were 2 horses running through all the sand flats near the mouth so I didn’t bother throwing the SP around for a flattie.

Headed to the bridge and lightly berleyed up using bread crumbs and tuna oil and immediately hundreds of mullet (all different sizes) started rising with a few salmon mixed in. I set my mate up with a little 1 kg rod I have and rigged him up with a little hook and a piece of prawn.
Spent the rest of the day watching him having the time of his life as we both pulled in good size mullet regularly. Ended up with about 15 after released 4-5 salmon that were a bit undersized

Berley was the key factor so anyone heading down that way to do the same just remember they are generally top feeders and Berley is a must.
Think I have hooked my mate on fishing and wish me luck chasing some gummy’s tomorrow.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Powlett River bait catching (mullet)

Post by Lightningx » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:37 pm

Sounds like a fun session mate. How big were the mullets?

jasew3

Post by jasew3 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:50 pm

nice effort goodluck with a gummy or 2.. where abts r u trying for a gummy? tenby point or jam jerrup?? went for a walk a few days ago to stockyards point only saw one guy setting up for a fish .I thought u could catch bream and a few other varieties at powlett river too. anyone fishing there?
cheers Jase

Graeme

Post by Graeme » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:52 pm

I fished the Powlett river a week or so ago.
Up closer to the mouth on the sand flats , was a pretty quiet session with only a few very small bay trout and one tiny Bream.
Last few times I've been it's been very quiet but i have done well there, just not recently.
But even if you're not catching much , fishing the sand flats is still a beautiful place to fish

Robbo94

Post by Robbo94 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:43 pm

Lightningx wrote:Sounds like a fun session mate. How big were the mullets?
I only kept the ones over 150mm (ish) but they range from 150-250mm
jasew3 wrote:nice effort goodluck with a gummy or 2.. where abts r u trying for a gummy? tenby point or jam jerrup?? went for a walk a few days ago to stockyards point only saw one guy setting up for a fish .I thought u could catch bream and a few other varieties at powlett river too. anyone fishing there?
cheers Jase
I’m a keen fisho but have always been restricted to land based fishing besides trout fishing at lake Dartmouth and chasing bream at Marlo so tomorrow is strangely enough the first time for me out in the bay chasing gummys. Think my mate mentioned we are launching from stony point. I think it’s the blind leading the blind at this stage.
I did pump some nice bass yabbies this morning up there and did intend on chasing some bream but time got the better of me so I gave the bait to a few local kids. Besides that the mouth was busy with the holiday crowd but no other fishos

Cheers boys

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:53 pm

Good little sessiom

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”