Reeves Beach Fishing and Camping

tommytankin

Reeves Beach Fishing and Camping

Post by tommytankin » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:50 pm

Looking to head down to one of the free camping sites along the 90 mile for Australia day. Just wondering how busy the camping grounds get specifically looking at the reeves camping ground if I head down a day before Australia day will I be alright for a spot? And for the fishing, is my best bet metal slugs for salmon and big baits for the toothies? Tips for the area would be great!

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Re: Reeves Beach Fishing and Camping

Post by Brett » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:57 pm

You've pretty much got it covered. Reeves could be busy, you may be ok the day before, but it's no guarantee

tommytankin

Post by tommytankin » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:24 pm

Do you know if parks victoria could give me an indication on how busy it is closer to the date? Just don't really want to do make a 5 hour trip a waste :(

Kosta7

Post by Kosta7 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:03 am

Very tricky to get a spot unless you are super early. Lots of spots though between Woodside and Golden beach. Fishing has been **** because of the weed but you might be lucky and it clears up by that time.

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:46 am

tommytankin wrote:Do you know if parks victoria could give me an indication on how busy it is closer to the date? Just don't really want to do make a 5 hour trip a waste :(

Where are you leaving from Bendigo?

tommytankin

Post by tommytankin » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:11 pm

Kosta7 wrote:Very tricky to get a spot unless you are super early. Lots of spots though between Woodside and Golden beach. Fishing has been sh*t because of the weed but you might be lucky and it clears up by that time.
Yeah there are a few free camping grounds around right? Hopefully if Reeves is full there will be somewhere we can go. Heard about the weed a while ago, is it still bad? Or does it come and go often?

ratbag

Post by ratbag » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:50 pm

You might struggle to get salmon this time of year, the water is around 20C. More likely to get flatties & gummies at the moment of the beach. There is some weed, however we’ve managed a few flatties around 50cm in the last few days.

As for camping, the earlier you get to down here, the more choices on location.

The weed is still around, if we get a good storm it’ll move on.
quid est quod eum

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”