Campin' at Corringle

Broomstick
Has liked: 2 times

Campin' at Corringle

Post by Broomstick » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:22 pm

My new life of leisure continued last weekend with a camping trip to Marlo with a group of mates. Unfortunately Luna and Lando had to stay home – poor Lou was recovering from surgery:

She had to have a couple of grass seeds surgically removed the poor thing. I didn’t know grass seeds were so dangerous - one seed was 8cm under the skin and could have killed her if left any longer. Pretty bloody scary.

Anyway, our plan was to head to one of the more remote east coast estuaries, but an uncontrolled bushfire meant all the roads in the area were closed (goddamit). So we camped at Corringle slips in Marlo – I’d never been there before, but it was convenient and gave us the chance to fish and surf within walking distance of our campsite. We got down there last Friday and after setting up camp on the estuary, we went for a flick:

I drew first blood with this little tailor (literally, because he bit me):

Which I followed up with a little flatty:

It’s a pretty tough place to fish landbased as there is limited bank access, but we did our best. My mate snagged this little EP at a jetty:

But the only other fish hitting the banks were little tailor:

With the light fading my mate hooked into something a little more substantial, and after a solid fight up popped this guy:

You don’t see many poddy mullet caught on lure, but they pull some string!

We were up early the next morning and after a quick brekky:

And a quick hello to our campmates:

We went to check out the surf beach:

We tried throwing some slugs around but the weed was horrendous. The surf sucked too so we decided to go for a bit of a wander. We climbed a hill and were greeted with this lovely view:

I could see lots of fishing potential in this area if you had a boat, but very few options landbased. We spent the arvo chilling at the campsite, and I thought we might as well chuck a couple of baits out while we sat around. I collected a few crabs:

And it didn’t take long before a few breambo’s started hitting the banks:

This was our English mate Tommy’s first fish:

Crabs were the perfect bait because they can sit on the hooks for hours untouched until a bream snaffles them:

That evening we headed back to the beach to have a crack at some sharks. I was hoping the 14ft rods might make the beach fishable despite the weed, but I was wrong. So we just enjoyed a ripper sunset:

And chilled out by the fire:

We cooked some fresh fish in the coals – don’t be fooled by the horrendous photo, they were delicious:

The next morning I was up before the sun to have a solo flick:

It was a perfect, glassed out morning. I flicked my lure parallel to this little jetty:

And it was whacked only a couple of metres from the shore:

Not a massive bream, but it kept me on my toes when it went straight for the pylons:

I flicked another cast parallel to the jetty and my lure was again hammered in close:

A nice EP. This guy pulled a fair bit of string - I was lucky he swam away from the jetty:

The fish went quiet after that - I think I spooked them when I walked out onto the jetty to land the EP. After a relaxing morning we decided to spend the afternoon at French’s narrows. On the way we stopped at a lookout – check all the dirty water making it’s way downriver:

This wasn’t a good sign for the fishing, but it’s such a nice place I didn’t really care. We wandered the flats flicking lures:

But didn’t have so much as a bite. This green filamentous algae was everywhere and made fishing very difficult:

Out of desperation we even caught a couple of prawns and chucked them out on hooks, but 4 hours later I released the same prawns ha. When a live prawn doesn’t get eaten, you know there are no fish around. Luckily the sunset was beautiful:

And when the sun went down, the place came alive with prawns:

And they were delish:

We woke up to another glassed out morning on our final day:

We headed out for one last flick before packing up, landing more small tailor:

A couple of little flatty:

This bridled goby that wasn’t much bigger than the laydown he tried to eat:

And one nice bream:

We checked the beach again and when the weed was still around and the surf was still non-existent, we decided to pack up and hit the road. While we packed up we chucked out a couple of crabs and landed a couple more nice little bream:

And with that we called it quits. Although the fishing and surfing gods were against us, we still had a ripper. Considering all the recent rains, I reckon we actually did pretty well to catch anything. Luckily it’s not all about the fishing, right?

Cheers!

Last edited by Broomstick on Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.

jasew3

Re: Campin' at Corringle

Post by jasew3 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:33 pm

Once again you have shown us all a great trip by urself and mates with plenty of pics ..Looks like you all had a decent fish with a also decent feed ..Awesome place to visit down there and u have been lucky for great weather too. P.S( Hope your dog is on the mend and ready for ur next trip).
cheers Jase. :a_goodjob: :a_goodjob:

Broomstick

Post by Broomstick » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:40 pm

jasew3 wrote:Once again you have shown us all a great trip by urself and mates with plenty of pics ..Looks like you all had a decent fish with a also decent feed ..Awesome place to visit down there and u have been lucky for great weather too. P.S( Hope your dog is on the mend and ready for ur next trip).
cheers Jase. :a_goodjob: :a_goodjob:
Thanks Jase, Luna is nearly better. I felt terrible leaving her behind - I guess we better go on another trip to make it up to her.

re-tyred
Has liked: 374 times

Post by re-tyred » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:17 pm

If you want to chase Taylor and Salmon Land Based at Corringle. walk east along the board walk and then thru the bush till you get to the beach as per pic.a deep trench runs along all the way to the Entrance. It produces well most of the time.
Attachments
corringle2.jpg
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Duffman

Post by Duffman » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:18 pm

Excellent post and well done catching a few in tough conditions. Great read and pics

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:51 pm

great post and pics as usual, cheers davo :a_goodjob:
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:02 pm

Jees didnt know seeds could be thats dangerous.
Ill have to watch our dog since we just laided seeds down.

Sounds like a good trip
Great pics.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:50 pm

Top report!
Great pics :thumbsup:

drew 2

Post by drew 2 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:38 pm

Thanx for sharing broomy :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Broomstick

Post by Broomstick » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:48 am

Cheers fellas
re-tyred wrote:If you want to chase Taylor and Salmon Land Based at Corringle. walk east along the board walk and then thru the bush till you get to the beach as per pic.a deep trench runs along all the way to the Entrance. It produces well most of the time.
Thanks mate, I will definitely keep that it mind for next time.

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”