Lakes Entrance Report

WayneK

Lakes Entrance Report

Post by WayneK » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:40 pm

Hi Guys/Girls,

Just came back home after taking the family away to Lakes Entrance for a week. Fished Lake Tyers, land based (Mill Point) and caught nothing - not even a bite. Post Office jetty in Lakes Entrance was said to be producing Mullet and Trevally at night, but we weren't interested. Fished the Tambo River at Sardine Flats and 'The Cliffs' - the later was firing but only fish to 26cm - needless to say, everything went back into the river. Bottom line = the kids had a ball, catching over 34 Bream in two sessions, but every fish went back. Had three sessions spinning for Salmon at Eastern Beach - result - one Salmon at 27 cm returned to its home. Kids had a great time, and so did Mum and Dad, but every fish caught was returned to its home. Lessons learned = sand worm gets lots of bites but only undersized fish - Peeled prawn gets fewer hits but gets bigger fish. Wanted to try soft plastics but, being land based, wimped out. (Too many snags.)

Cheers,

Wayne

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Re: Lakes Entrance Report

Post by Boonanza » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:05 pm

Well done mate at least you found some fish :thumbsup: We went there this time last year and all we caught were crabs(fishing of course)
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

Jarvi2001

Post by Jarvi2001 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:23 pm

You were on the right spots at Lake Tyers, it saucy fishing is patchy there this time of year.
Still a good result mate :)

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:44 pm

Nice report! Sounds like a great week spent with the family with some good fishing as well :thumbsup:

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:17 pm

We must have been there at the same time I was there we'd to sat I took the boat but it was more of a family holiday than fishing trip. We had lunch one day at the metung pub then Paynesville.
On Thursday I dropped my wife and son off at the post office jetty then I headed out over the bar having never done it in my own boat before I did it 6 times for practice but it was really calm. I did notice a trawler about 100 mt off eastern beach doing a run I doubt they will be much salmon caught there this week.
Sounds like your kids had a ball when mine were younger they loved it there

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Post by re-tyred » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:01 am

The trawler going up and down the beach is catching crabs for market. You can't catch salmon trawling. The salmon boat shoots a net around the salmon school. It is catching Pilchards for the bait market at the moment. When it is salmon fishing it is mostly up at Marlo lately.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Post by re-tyred » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:29 am

I fished offshore Friday. very tough going. Just one mowie and one snook. A lot of wrasse and undersize pinkies. Plenty of whales out there at the moment.
September is usually tough going. Water temp has gone up 1c this week to 12c. When it gets to 15c it should be game on down the pipeline for snapper and on the beach for gummies and flats. There has been just a few flats and gummies on the beach 610 mile down but pretty slow.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:40 am

Well done Wayne
When you've got the billy lids with you, something on the line
is all that matters

Gra

Oldrol

Post by Oldrol » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:12 pm

Well done all ,, thanks for the reports I think imight hold off for another week or two be for I head offshore regards oldrol

ecoronad
Has liked: 1 time

Post by ecoronad » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:16 pm

Yep, fished the Tambo and Mitchell over the AFL Victorian long weekend (mostly family holiday) and definitely tough going. Got plenty of bites and took home 3 keepers - 2 bream @29cm and 1 trevally @ 29cm. Had local prawns, sandworms, yabbies and scrubworms. All got fish but the 3 keepers were on the sandworm. One thing to note is that all fish were just about ready to spawn, even the small 20-25cm bream had milt coming out of them. Unfortunately, I was landbased, but no doubt a boat would have been handy to keep moving to locate the bigger fish.

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”