Lakes Entrance Report

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Re: Lakes Entrance Report

Post by re-tyred » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:36 pm

Both Marlo and lakes will be flathead central by then. LB at Marlo French's narrows. Lakes anywhere you can access the North arm and around the town jetties.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

tbcha1
Has liked: 12 times

Post by tbcha1 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:16 pm

re-tyred wrote:Both Marlo and lakes will be flathead central by then. LB at Marlo French's narrows. Lakes anywhere you can access the North arm and around the town jetties.

thanks Re-tyred. Sorry forgot i posted this else id reply sooner

Dont think we will bring the yak. It looks to be very windy this weekend down lakes to marlo way. Real shame as we havent cruised around the lakes in the yak

thanks again for the tip

tbcha1

Post by tbcha1 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:44 am

Thanks for the spot recommendation at Marlo Re-Tyred. We didnt get heaps of fish but when we got a hit it was always a decent fish. Ended up 3 fish between the 2 of us over 2 sessions. But got busted off around 4 times due to leader being too light or crap (6lb) and being too eager to dragging in a decent size flattie when it i should have tired it out. Got it to the shore and it gave a few big jumps and cut the leader mid way...
Lakes was terrible. Not even a bite. Lakes tyers all we were doing was pulling out these crappy squirters...wish we had bait with us as it was no good for lures dragging through all the squirter mine field.
Will head down next year again but stay both days at Marlo. Hopefully will be able to explore other places around Marlo

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:51 am

The only fish around lakes at the moment is KGW near Pelican Island and you need a boat.
good to see you had a few at marlo. it is a good fishing spot. often get Salmon and Taylor at the entrance. You can wade across the shallows just east of the entrance and beach fish there. Best around the change of the tide.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.

tbcha1

Post by tbcha1 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:43 pm

ahh k. Was really tough fishing around lakes we were spewing we didnt stay at Marlo for the whole trip.
I think we did fish at the mouth you spoke about late afternoon but not too sure if we fished at the right spot, we fished at the part circled in red. Attached is a map of where we tried. We stayed for bit over an hour and then headed for the narrows were we got busted off a few times
on our 6LB leaders
Capture.JPG

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:28 am

Yeah that is the spot when the Salmon are around

Yota
Has liked: 114 times

Post by Yota » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:46 pm

G’day all, just read through this post, great info to all and thanks ton Re-tyred for the bar crossing info that’s gold.
I’m heading to Lakes (with my boat) this next long weekend and I would love to target some gummies or snapper or whatever else is on this time of year.
Can anyone share some general knowledge on areas and bait please. I’d like to head out the bar and try the big blue I’m not that keen on rivers and lakes, but if that’s what’s on then I’ll try to be converted ha ha.
Thanks
Jamie

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:59 am

Large snapper have been very patchy. 4mile and 6 mile have been barren. Best fishing has been the beach to the west of the entrance all the way down to the tower in 20mtrs. Flatties and gummies to those that put the time and burley into it. The few snapper that have been caught have been mostly wide at the pipeline or out towards French's reef. 10 mile south. 38° 3.136'S 147° 56.744'E
If I had a bigger boat I would give barracouta reef a shot. It is 24nm south west. Don't want to be down there in an easterly..
38° 16.314'S 147° 44.038'E
Pasadena reef would also be worth a shot.
38° 4.678'S 147° 49.982'E

Bait is pilchard and squid plus take a bait jig and catch some mackerel. Can convert cuta to bait when you get them.
If you are interested in big sharks there are mako and threshers around at the moment. Live mackerel on a balloon rig is the go . Just have one out while you bottom bash.
Attachments
local.jpg

Hosery

Post by Hosery » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:59 am

Slayed the gummys down at petmans to the east the other day. Only kept 1 around 5ft caught of a big live slimie! let the rest go. Lost count of flat head. Would of been over 50 of them. Only kept a handful. We burlied hard for shark but no good on that front. Slimies were thick as thieves!!!

bilby

Post by bilby » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:44 pm

Do you mean landbased off the beach, Hosery?

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”