Kilcunda tips

Dizzzayyy

Kilcunda tips

Post by Dizzzayyy » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:15 pm

Hi all, heading down to Kilcunda tomorrow to target some salmon..
Any general tips on the area would be great.. I understand there are 2 beaches there ?
Will post results.
Cheers.

TheLoneTurtle

Re: Kilcunda tips

Post by TheLoneTurtle » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:24 pm

Dizzzayyy wrote:Hi all, heading down to Kilcunda tomorrow to target some salmon..
Any general tips on the area would be great.. I understand there are 2 beaches there ?
Will post results.
Cheers.
good idea, wind should be behind you, well chuck out some surf rods with cut up blue-bait cubes and (if you want) try some shiny metal lures. I would recommend the beach closer to the powlett river i found It has always been more productive. :thumbsup:

Good Luck

Cheers

Dizzzayyy

Post by Dizzzayyy » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:32 pm

TheLoneTurtle wrote:
Dizzzayyy wrote:Hi all, heading down to Kilcunda tomorrow to target some salmon..
Will post results.
Cheers.
good idea, wind should be behind you, well chuck out some surf rods with cut up blue-bait cubes and (if you want) try some shiny metal lures. I would recommend the beach closer to the powlett river i found It has always been more productive. :thumbsup:

Good Luck

Cheers
Thanks for the tips mate!

Kosta7

Post by Kosta7 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:34 pm

Kilcunda and Cemetery beach are very similar. Both have nice deep gutters that are best fished during incoming tide. I usually fish at Kilcunda right next to the rocks. I chuck berley every 10-20min and don't use onion bags or buckets due to the massive waves. During low tide there is a nice trough along the beach but the current is usually very strong and I only use lures( not with a lot of luck).
If there is seaweed around don't even bother weting a line. Big mothas...will get you snagged as some of them weight more than 20kg. I think this weekend you ll be fine with the northelies and the beach will be fishable. If you are wading, just be careful of the waves as you can get in trouble very quickly if you don't keep an eye on the waves.
Nice big sambos above 40cm usually around.
Good luck, let us know how you go

Dizzzayyy

Post by Dizzzayyy » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:41 pm

Kosta7 wrote:Kilcunda and Cemetery beach are very similar. Both have nice deep gutters that are best fished during incoming tide. I usually fish at Kilcunda right next to the rocks. I chuck berley every 10-20min and don't use onion bags or buckets due to the massive waves. During low tide there is a nice trough along the beach but the current is usually very strong and I only use lures( not with a lot of luck).
If there is seaweed around don't even bother weting a line. Big mothas...will get you snagged as some of them weight more than 20kg. I think this weekend you ll be fine with the northelies and the beach will be fishable. If you are wading, just be careful of the waves as you can get in trouble very quickly if you don't keep an eye on the waves.
Thanks for the reply, will let you know!

GoodFriendToadie

Post by GoodFriendToadie » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:32 am

Dizzzayyy wrote:
Kosta7 wrote:Kilcunda and Cemetery beach are very similar. Both have nice deep gutters that are best fished during incoming tide. I usually fish at Kilcunda right next to the rocks. I chuck berley every 10-20min and don't use onion bags or buckets due to the massive waves. During low tide there is a nice trough along the beach but the current is usually very strong and I only use lures( not with a lot of luck).
Thanks for the reply, will let you know!
How did you go?

Dizzzayyy

Post by Dizzzayyy » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:53 pm

Dizzzayyy wrote:Fished cemetery beach sat morning to the left near the rocks. There was a nice gutter on the right of the beach but I woke up late and a few people were already fishing it.
Berleyd up and targeted a couple of hole's with a surf popper and pillys... but no luck, not even a bite.
Tried a spoon on a lighter rod too for awhile casting off the rocks with no luck.
Still had a good morning down there and the dog had a great time too.

Did anyone have any luck down Kilcunda sat morning ? Conditions were great, sucks I didn't even get a bite. Maybe I was in the wrong area ?
I fished the beach after the trestle bridge outbound on the Bass why, I'm assuming that was cemetery beach ? I noticed people fishing the next beach along too, past the rocks to the left.
Cheers.

tommyfishunter

Post by tommyfishunter » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:58 pm

Best part about kilcunda if the salmon aren't biting you've always got the Powlett if the mouth is open it's a cracking bream and EP location

Dizzzayyy

Post by Dizzzayyy » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:40 pm

tommyfishunter wrote:Best part about kilcunda if the salmon aren't biting you've always got the Powlett if the mouth is open it's a cracking bream and EP location
Thanks for the reply, are soft plastics the go at the mouth ? or a running sinker with pipi's ?

tommyfishunter

Post by tommyfishunter » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:33 am

Dizzzayyy wrote:
tommyfishunter wrote:Best part about kilcunda if the salmon aren't biting you've always got the Powlett if the mouth is open it's a cracking bream and EP location
Thanks for the reply, are soft plastics the go at the mouth ? or a running sinker with pipi's ?
If you have a bait pump, there's plenty of bass yabbies which are the gun bait there. You'd probably be able to get them with a shovel if you don't have a pump.
Fish them lightly weighted on the incoming tide pretty much guaranteed to catch bream, there also plenty of micro salmon in the river.
Anywhere from the mouth to the bridge is good. Never tried soft plastics there, but can't see why they wouldnt work.

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”