Lakes entrance snapper.

Blueyed1
Has liked: 5 times

Re: Lakes entrance snapper.

Post by Blueyed1 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:41 am

Awesome fishing. Great bag of fish. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Joe

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:27 am

Dr Snapper wrote:
Nude up wrote:Nice mixed bag imagine what you will catch if you had a sounder that worked
Maybe that's the point nudie. Sometimes it's best to follow your gut feeling. Sure, if the sounder 'goes crazy' when heading towards the location that you had planned to fish at stop and have a fish, but otherwise maybe it is best to go where you planned to go in the first place. Great catch regardless!
Thsts a fair point.

I lost hundreds off marks from my old sounder and started from scratch a few months ago.

Its been a great thing.....

the bad side is in rivers and creeks I no longer have all the rocks marked.

bm

ango

Post by ango » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:35 am

That's a mighty impressive catch, do you anchor up & berly or do you drift? I don't have a winch on my boat & the anchor is setup for PPB where I fish in the evenings & have quiet a length of heavy chain so it wont pop out of the mud when the sea breeze comes in (often 20 knots). I use a float to retrieve the anchor but don't fancy getting it up from 38 m or so.
Cheers
Ango.

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Post by re-tyred » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:28 pm

I just use a reef anchor and no chain. The area out the front of lakes is an anchor grave yard. Very hard slabby reef that anchors get caught on. So a light reef anchor no chain. Drop it over on your spot and keep moving the boat up on it so it goes straight down. When it hits the bottom let a few more meters out and tie it off. You will know straight away if it has grabbed. To recover it by hand, drive up past your mark and pull it from the opposite direction. If it jams, just use the boat to bend the tines.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Hosery

Post by Hosery » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:26 pm

ango wrote:That's a mighty impressive catch, do you anchor up & berly or do you drift? I don't have a winch on my boat & the anchor is setup for PPB where I fish in the evenings & have quiet a length of heavy chain so it wont pop out of the mud when the sea breeze comes in (often 20 knots). I use a float to retrieve the anchor but don't fancy getting it up from 38 m or so.
Cheers
Ango.
Cheers mate. The few flatties and gurned were on the drift but rest while anchored. I try not to burley up to much as it tends to bring in all the rubbish. Draft board sharks can be a real pain at times.
I just use a reef anchor with chain on the reef and anchor yanker to get it up. Works fine for me in that depth and deeper.

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:01 pm

Great catch

ango

Post by ango » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:52 pm

Thanks for the info, good to know about anchor graveyards, reminds me of the time I was fishing the horse paddock reef off Mordi in PPB, my anchor got stuck, I tied it off & after lots of circling around trying to pull it free it finally came out, I had to haul it up by hand because I don't use the float in shallow water (4-5m), after much grunting & groaning I got it up and it had another old anchor & chain with lots of weed & shellfish growing on it. Bad luck the rust was too far gone for it to be of any use. I will take the reef pick on my next trip out from Lakes.
Cheers
Ango.

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”