Pinkies pinkies and more pinkies.

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Pinkies pinkies and more pinkies.

Post by re-tyred » Fri May 26, 2017 6:22 pm

Well the autumn winter run of Pinkies on the front reef is well and truly off and running. There has been some excellent catches on the 4 mile and 6 mile.
I went out today for a few hours and bagged out. Most fish 30-34cm. I don't normally keep that many but we have family coming up in a couple of weeks so I filleted and boned them out for BBQ snacks... :a_goodjob:
Coota were ferocious early taking 6 rigs in about half an hour..
The seals made life difficult too. Many head only retrievals after the seals decided that breakfast was served.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Re: Pinkies pinkies and more pinkies.

Post by Nude up » Fri May 26, 2017 7:50 pm

Couta are a pain but make great bait, try feeding the seals pilchards with wasabi in they will soon clear off

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Fri May 26, 2017 7:59 pm

Nice bag mate. I'm sure the family will all enjoy :thumbsup:

Blueyed1
Has liked: 5 times

Post by Blueyed1 » Fri May 26, 2017 8:00 pm

re-tyred wrote:Well the autumn winter run of Pinkies on the front reef is well and truly off and running. There has been some excellent catches on the 4 mile and 6 mile.
I went out today for a few hours and bagged out. Most fish 30-34cm. I don't normally keep that many but we have family coming up in a couple of weeks so I filleted and boned them out for BBQ snacks... :a_goodjob:
Coota were ferocious early taking 6 rigs in about half an hour..
The seals made life difficult too. Many head only retrievals after the seals decided that breakfast was served.
That sounds like great fishing. Re-tyred, how long is this pinkie run likely to go for? I'm recovering from a knee op and am stuck home for a while.....Am enjoying hearing about the great fishing over your way.

Joe

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Sat May 27, 2017 5:56 am

Last year I was still catching them in August. Some days they are good some days slow. Early morning or late afternoon seems to be the best
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:26 am

Two more trips since I last reported. Both times I fished just 4nm from the bar. 9 pinkies in an hour first go and 6 in an hour the other. Coota seem to have gone, plenty of rubbish fish making it hard to keep a bait on. Fish vary from undersize to 40cm most in the mid 30's range.
Only small numbers of boats out, maybe 20 each day. Fish are most active at sunrise but still ok during the day. It has been freezing cold in the morning. So rug up if you are giving it a go.
We had another Bar incident this week, again due to people not having a clue and not bothering to use the info that is available to everyone.

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”