Swordfish out of Lakes Entrance

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Re: Swordfish out of Lakes Entrance

Post by rb85 » Wed May 24, 2017 8:01 pm

Blueyed1 wrote:Re-tyred, I note the wave period jumped up on the graph you posted. Always thought the longer the wave period on the ocean the gentler the ride. As a rule of thumb at a bar - is it right to say the longer the wave period the larger the swell and the bigger the breakers because those waves hold more water per cycle?? If wave period was say 15 seconds and the swell 1.5 metres max, I would think it reasonable to cross but I guess you would have to suss out the breakers visually? Shorter wave periods to me indicate chopy seas and a rougher ride, but I guess the breakers would not be as intense cause the volume in each cycle is less. Again you would have to assess maximum wave height?

Joe
Joe theres many variable such as primary swell size, secondary swell size, sometimes tertiary swell, swell period, swell direction, tide and obviously wind.

Greater swell periods generally are associated with long traveling ground swells generated from a storm system a long way offshore smaller periods are associated with storms closer to shore normally creating bumpy conditions. A 12 sec swell at 1m will be more powerful than a 6 sec swell at 2m but the 6 sec swell will be lumpier. Hope that makes sense.

Blueyed1
Has liked: 5 times

Post by Blueyed1 » Wed May 24, 2017 8:20 pm

Certainly does make lots of sense. I've absolutely enjoyed getting out on those long gentle rolling swells. Add some crosswinds and a short wave interval and you get that terrible washing machine....Those long swells generally create those great breakers that surfers like and that are bad for bar crossings I guess.

Joe

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Post by re-tyred » Thu May 25, 2017 6:41 am

Blueyed1 wrote:Re-tyred, I note the wave period jumped up on the graph you posted. Always thought the longer the wave period on the ocean the gentler the ride. As a rule of thumb at a bar - is it right to say the longer the wave period the larger the swell and the bigger the breakers because those waves hold more water per cycle?? If wave period was say 15 seconds and the swell 1.5 metres max, I would think it reasonable to cross but I guess you would have to suss out the breakers visually? Shorter wave periods to me indicate chopy seas and a rougher ride, but I guess the breakers would not be as intense cause the volume in each cycle is less. Again you would have to assess maximum wave height?

Joe
Exactly. Long wave period equals a lot of water in the wave. When the front of the wave meets shallower water it slows down and the back of the wave catches up. Swell then stands up much higher and breaks. Offshore a long period is just slow rolling hills and nice and comfortable, this is the trap, conditions good for fishing but crap on the bar...
Many boats crossed the bar safely that day, but they knew what they were doing.
The trap is also the current direction in the channel. Run in bar looks good so off they go. Then the tide turns and runs out. The bar goes to crap and they have to come back through it. Again knowledge of how to do it enables plenty of people to cross with minimal risk.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Thu May 25, 2017 7:02 am

re-tyred wrote:

Joe
Exactly. Long wave period equals a lot of water in the wave. When the front of the wave meets shallower water it slows down and the back of the wave catches up. Swell then stands up much higher and breaks. Offshore a long period is just slow rolling hills and nice and comfortable, this is the trap, conditions good for fishing but crap on the bar...
Many boats crossed the bar safely that day, but they knew what they were doing.
The trap is also the current direction in the channel. Run in bar looks good so off they go. Then the tide turns and runs out. The bar goes to crap and they have to come back through it. Again knowledge of how to do it enables plenty of people to cross with minimal risk.
Think I have read somewhere there's a bar crossing course you can do at lakes? Know anything about this re-tyred

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Thu May 25, 2017 6:11 pm

Yes Tafe in Lakes does do one, but it is only on when they get enough applicants.
I have done the professional one as it is part of my passenger carrying ticket. It is well worth doing. However if time and money makes it hard to get to, then a good study up on the Gippsland Ports site and a few bar crossing videos will help a lot. The issue with Lakes bar compared to many small estuaries is that there is a defined channel that is marked by lead lights. It is very important to understand how it is marked and to stick to the "leads". It is also important to understand the effects a VERY large estuary has on the narrow channel during run in and run out tides.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.

Blueyed1

Post by Blueyed1 » Thu May 25, 2017 11:19 pm

re-tyred wrote:Yes Tafe in Lakes does do one, but it is only on when they get enough applicants.
I have done the professional one as it is part of my passenger carrying ticket. It is well worth doing. However if time and money makes it hard to get to, then a good study up on the Gippsland Ports site and a few bar crossing videos will help a lot. The issue with Lakes bar compared to many small estuaries is that there is a defined channel that is marked by lead lights. It is very important to understand how it is marked and to stick to the "leads". It is also important to understand the effects a VERY large estuary has on the narrow channel during run in and run out tides.
Check out this site. It has the bar crossing course details and dates.

http://www.federationtraining.edu.au/co ... _operators

Joe

Blueyed1

Post by Blueyed1 » Thu May 25, 2017 11:22 pm

They also do a radio operators course so you can also sit the exam and "legally" use the VHF marine radio.

http://www.federationtraining.edu.au/co ... ncy_mrocp2

And....

http://www.federationtraining.edu.au/co ... rine_radio

Joe

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Thu May 25, 2017 11:36 pm

Blueyed1 wrote:
re-tyred wrote:Yes Tafe in Lakes does do one, but it is only on when they get enough applicants.
Check out this site. It has the bar crossing course details and dates.

http://www.federationtraining.edu.au/co ... _operators

Joe
Except when they have gastro :victory:

Blueyed1

Post by Blueyed1 » Fri May 26, 2017 12:08 am

Brett wrote:
That would be shite!!! What - you attended the cause when they had gastro???

Joe

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Fri May 26, 2017 4:31 am

Blueyed1 wrote:
Brett wrote:
That would be shite!!! What - you attended the cause when they had gastro???

Joe
Wolly booked one and they were no show :o_0:

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”