Swordfish out of Lakes Entrance

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Swordfish out of Lakes Entrance

Post by re-tyred » Sun May 14, 2017 2:52 pm

Well it has been going off big time for those that know how to catch these beasts. (not me but just gave it a go)
Some cracking fish with one being reported over 200kg. Plenty of pics on Facebook.
Yesterday I believe 5 were landed in town. I went with a mate for our first go at it yesterday.
The area is one that I know well from my commercial trawl days in the 70-80s. I felt a little daunted going out there in a 21ft Shark Cat. The closest grounds are at the head of the Bass Canyon , this is 47nm straight out from shore. Roughly South East of Lakes. There are very steep underwater cliffs in this area. Some drop 1km in a very short distance. Seems the best swordy fishing is close to these cliffs. We gave it a go in 500mtrs. Quite some depth to bottom fish... Rigged with tied on whole squid and a sacrificial weight of 2kg. This was tied on to the hook with 15lb mono so it would break away. Worked well except for one drop when it fouled the leader. It was a lot of work to get that mess back up...
Well about 2hrs in we had one line start to slowly pay out, seem like an enquiry. Bit hard to strike on a 500mtr line but the guy on the rod did his best. We weren't sure at this stage whether we were fouled on the bottom or had fouled the weight again, but sure had some pressure on the line.
Much winding and sweating later, about 30 minutes later, the fish/slash weight did a run and confirmed that it was a fish. By this time about 200mtrs of line was back on the reel. Another 20 sweaty minutes by the guy on the reel and he had just a hundred meters to go. It had another run, then more progress. Woohoo got the gaff ready.... Then BANG and a slack line. :o_0: A few words like Oh dear I think we lost it... :oops: :oops: :oops: Wound in the line and busted off with some very scuffed line just at the start of the leader... What it was we will never know.... That's fishing..

For those that are thinking of going out for a go. Please be well prepared and know your weather. This is big boat country with nowhere to hide if the weather comes up. You need to be able to carry a lot of fuel. We used 400lt for the day. It is out of mobile phone range and very difficult to call to a shore base on VHF. Coming home we lost a motor , still not sure of why. Just suddenly stopped and would wind over but not even fire. Lucky being a twin motor setup we came back on one motor at 18knts..

Don't ask me how to catch them or what rods etc. I am the new chum at this.
There has also been a few Tuna caught out there. We saw a massive bait ball being beaten up by Dolphins and false killer whales??? not sure of the i.d. but looked like the pictures. We had our deep drop gear down at the time and by the time we wound it up and put some Tuna rigs on we had lost the patch.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

re-tyred

Re: Swordfish out of Lakes Entrance

Post by re-tyred » Sun May 14, 2017 2:57 pm

From East Gippsland Fishing Charters page
Attachments
18402828_1552182338128407_7460657955688478064_n.jpg
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sun May 14, 2017 3:11 pm

That's a bugger, all that winding only to lose it so close to the surface

I was talking to a bloke who runs a tackle shop in Tasmania and apparently it's been going nuts down that way. He reckons 50w reels have been selling like hot cakes because the shelf is only 20-30min by boat in some areas and heaps of people have been getting into it.

They've been spooling the reels with braid with a mono top shot shock leader. For sinkers they've been using cardboard milk cartons filled with gravel or sand from next to the ramp. Didn't ask what sort of rods they've been using. Apparently they just sound around in 400-500m looking for bait holding near the bottom and drop their baits on top of that; they often hook up straight away.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Sun May 14, 2017 5:02 pm

Gota love that feeling off the motor stopping miles off shore. .....makes you feel alive hey when the feeling hits your stomach
I dont think i have ever turn my motor off when im that far out.

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Mon May 15, 2017 4:46 am

https://www.facebook.com/caltexlakesent ... =3&theater
More action out there today . Now I am jealous.

Bayrock
Has liked: 34 times

Post by Bayrock » Mon May 15, 2017 7:47 am

Amazing how the fishery is evolving in Vic. Quality Tuna all along the west and swordfish thick & fast along the east. Kingfish improving close to the city, good numbers of other species. Happy days & long may it continue

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Mon May 15, 2017 1:02 pm

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Mon May 15, 2017 1:23 pm

Do they taste good?

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Mon May 15, 2017 2:11 pm

frozenpod wrote:Do they taste good?
I have had one feed given to me. Very light brown flesh almost like a light coloured veal. Just fried it till it was brown on each side. I thought it was great. A bit like a well bled tuna steak.

Bayrock
Has liked: 34 times

Post by Bayrock » Mon May 15, 2017 2:19 pm

Bloody amazing eating fish. And very expensive if you buy the steaks.
I would be concerned about heavy metals in the flesh though..

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”