Mallacoota

Mjacc

Mallacoota

Post by Mjacc » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:32 am

Hi Everyone,

First time I have posted my own report so here goes.

Over the ANZAC weekend myself and 2 mates headed up to Mallacoota, my favourite spot in Vic, for a bit of a boys weekend away. Got the boat hooked up after work on Friday and headed off around 8:30pm from home. After an easy trip we arrived at Mallacoota at 1:15am.

The next day got up and did some minor things to the boat, unblocking the tell-tale, checking batteries etc... hadn't been out for a couple of months. We were on the water by 10:30am and heading to Gabo Island... was as flat as I have seen it for a long time. We went to 40m to start with and had a flatty straight away. After moving around a bit over the day we managed nothing else notable until the end of the day, when one of my mates hooked a carpenter shark. Got it to the side of the boat and as it lifted its head and thrashed around, its nose cut straight through the line and it was gone.

The next day was similar, on the water at 11:00am... we weren't setting any records. Great weather, but for the first half of the day no fish. Until about 2:30 when we finally got onto a decent patch. By 4:30pm we had about 20 reasonable flathead in the boat. Most between 35-45cm with some larger models as well. We headed back in and cleaned the catch just before dark.

Monday was our last real day of fishing so we made an actual effort to get up a bit earlier. We were at the ramp and in the water not much after 7:30am and fishing by 8:15am. After the first day I didn't think the ocean could be much better... I was wrong. It was almost glassed out going out and only got better through the morning. After spending most of the day drifting over the same patch as the afternoon before. We ended the day with 51 flathead of decent size and a flounder... fair few small ones went back and had lost a couple of larger ones next too the boat. We decided to call it a day and head back to clean up around 4pm after one of the most successful and enjoyable days fishing I have had in a long time. A gummy would have been nice, but that's fishing and after that trip we couldn't really complain.

Bait was pilchard and squid, although the pilchard proved successful was very hard to keep on with all the small bait fish and pickers that we encountered as well.
Attachments
IMG_2735.JPG
IMG_2732.JPG
IMG_2731.JPG
IMG_2731.JPG (78.09 KiB) Viewed 1047 times
IMG_2717.JPG
IMG_2715.JPG
IMG_2708.JPG
IMG_2706.JPG
IMG_2705.JPG

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Mallacoota

Post by Lightningx » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:39 am

Great first report mate with some nice pics. Nice catch also :thumbsup:

tropicalfisher

Post by tropicalfisher » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:33 am

Wow. Nice mess of flatties!

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:51 am

WOW Thats quite a lot of flathead, next time mate try dropping a plastic down as well. easier to catch them that way and no need to rebait as often either.

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Post by yepi'mon » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:52 am

Nice work mate - What took longer, the filleting or the fishing?

Mjacc

Post by Mjacc » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:55 am

Thanks guys, the filleting is definitely the least desirable part of the day, but didn't take too long.

Broomstick
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Broomstick » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:45 pm

Good fishing there mate. Carpenter shark as in saw shark? That is very cool, not a common catch at all.

Mjacc

Post by Mjacc » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:12 pm

Broomstick wrote:Good fishing there mate. Carpenter shark as in saw shark? That is very cool, not a common catch at all.
Yep saw shark, never seen one before. Wasn't keen on it coming on board so wasn't that unimpressed it cut off. Would've made a good photo though

Broomstick
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Broomstick » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:21 pm

Mjacc wrote:
Broomstick wrote:Good fishing there mate. Carpenter shark as in saw shark? That is very cool, not a common catch at all.
Yep saw shark, never seen one before. Wasn't keen on it coming on board so wasn't that unimpressed it cut off. Would've made a good photo though
That's awesome, I've seen one up north and it was pretty impressive. Well done again mate.

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:21 pm

Great pics...looks like a successful boys weekend!

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”