Walkerville South 11/2

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Walkerville South 11/2

Post by 4liters » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:58 pm

With the stiff WSW wind forecast and a couple of overhead reels added to the collection recently my first thought was to head somewhere where the wind would be blowing offshore and put a couple of balloons out. I had a couple of squid from last night and picked up some yakkas and silver whiting from the local fish shop as well.

A quick look at Google Maps suggested Walkerville South would be a safe pick for today, the wind would be blowing straight offshore and that part of the world feels pretty damn fishy so I was confident of getting at least something.

Turned out I was wrong. There must've been some eddy effect from the cliff and the entire time I was there the wind was either blowing along the coast to the north or straight back in my face. At one point my balloon was floating behind me as it drifted up a channel between the rocks. The wrasse were happy about that though. While this was happening my weather app was mocking me by showing the real time wind speed and direction at the station on the top of the cliff was exactly the westerly I was after. In front of me the sea was flat as a tack - perfect conditions in close for the kayak which I left sitting in the shed.

On to plan B. I hadn't really thought I'd need plan B, and it wasn't so much a plan as chance that I had a bait slider sitting in the tackle pack from a previous trip. The sinkers were on 4oz breakaways and I'd never tried to cast either of my big reels before so it was always going to be a bit iffy. Turns out neither a Penn Squall 60LD or a Fin Nor Biscayne BLD25 are really meant to be cast (or I'm just **** at casting them, or the sinker was too light, or I'd put too much line on them) and I spent quite a bit of time unraveling birds nests.

On to plan C. I'd bought my light surf rod with a view to catching more bait if needed but with plans A and B scrapped it saw a bit of use. The baits I put out were getting stripped within seconds of them hitting the bottom, and eventually I hooked a couple of undersize salmon. I put a couple of slivers of yakka out and ended up with a 30cm salmon which was the only worthwhile fish of the day. After a bit I decided I was wasting my time, packed up and left.

On the way back I stopped at Bear Gully, which looks like a great place to launch the kayak on a low swell day like today with Cape Liptrap within striking distance. Not so sure about fishing there landbased though, at high tide it looks like there would be a lot of shallow rocky areas to cast over to get to deeper water. After that I checked out Cape Liptrap, looks like it could be a great spot for a fish, I was there at low tide though so I don't know how fishable it would be over the high tide. p**** of a walk back to the top too, especially if you happened to catch something. I picked up a couple of cool looking rocks with quartz veins running through them to put in my fish tank and headed home.

Frustrating day, but I learned a bit and got to scout a few new spots for next time. Ballooning baits sounds like a ridiculously simple concept but getting the right conditions and knowing how the conditions play out locally seems like a far more subtle thing than I anticipated. Looks like it ight be blowing its arse out next weekend so I might be getting a bit more LBG practice.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Re: Walkerville South 11/2

Post by laneends » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:34 am

4liters wrote: In front of me the sea was flat as a tack - perfect conditions in close for the kayak which I left sitting in the shed.

That will teach you. Not a bad place for the kayak

4liters

Post by 4liters » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:54 am

laneends wrote:
4liters wrote: In front of me the sea was flat as a tack - perfect conditions in close for the kayak which I left sitting in the shed.

That will teach you. Not a bad place for the kayak
I was a bit worried about the wind, which was forecast to be just a bit high for my liking. Otherwise I would've taken it because it's a spot I'd love to figure out.
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:33 pm

Great read bad luck on the balloning, the best laid planes of mice and men!

Cross Dogs

Post by Cross Dogs » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:57 pm

Good recon mission (gotta look on the bright side). I've had a few sessions down that way on the kayak. It doesn't take much to make things a bit lumpy there, so your hunch was safe. I've been dumped there and that wasn't fun. If Willy Weather says the swell is less than a metre, then you are go for launch at Bear Gully. There's a tiny beach that faces away from the swell and not far out are lots of weed beds that hold big squid.

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:03 pm

Nice read Goony, the wind shadow effect is something we've come across time and again. You know most of the spots we fish, and anywhere there is a rock upstand behind you, there's an issue. Those times are where sliding is very effective as an option.

4liters

Post by 4liters » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:24 pm

CarlG wrote:Nice read Goony, the wind shadow effect is something we've come across time and again. You know most of the spots we fish, and anywhere there is a rock upstand behind you, there's an issue. Those times are where sliding is very effective as an option.
Bugger, guess I better learn how to make a paravane or something. Do you know if the effect is less pronounced on high or low wind days?

4liters

Post by 4liters » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:35 pm

Cross Dogs wrote:Good recon mission (gotta look on the bright side). I've had a few sessions down that way on the kayak. It doesn't take much to make things a bit lumpy there, so your hunch was safe. I've been dumped there and that wasn't fun. If Willy Weather says the swell is less than a metre, then you are go for launch at Bear Gully. There's a tiny beach that faces away from the swell and not far out are lots of weed beds that hold big squid.
Interesting. I'll definitely check out Bear Gully next time the swell is down, I'd love to fish around Liptrap at least once this season.

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:09 pm

4liters wrote:
CarlG wrote:Nice read Goony, the wind shadow effect is something we've come across time and again. You know most of the spots we fish, and anywhere there is a rock upstand behind you, there's an issue. Those times are where sliding is very effective as an option.
Bugger, guess I better learn how to make a paravane or something. Do you know if the effect is less pronounced on high or low wind days?
High wind produces a bigger vortex I think..
Remind me about the paravane next time we're gonna meet up. Got a great variant to show you.

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”