Lakes Entrance report.

ango

Lakes Entrance report.

Post by ango » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:22 pm

Finally today l had a chance to get out offshore from Lakes, fishing was difficult due to heaps of small Cuta, lost plenty of tackle, also, planty of octapus around, they suck on your bait, or even the sinker, but are great bait, very tough and the flathead love them. Anyway, I managed to get a good feed of flathead, saw plenty of pinkies at the cleaning table when I came in, they must have come from 12 mile because there was only me and another boat at 6 mile and we were not getting any.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Lakes Entrance report.

Post by Lightningx » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:32 pm

Nice report mate. A good feed of flatties is always welcome :thumbsup:

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:36 pm

I will take the flatties any day over pinkies nice report

kingo9999

Post by kingo9999 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:35 pm

Ditto your report ango. Went out last week and could not escape the small couta or mackerel, (whatever they were). Thought i would troll a lure for some fun and the buggers were jumping out of the water and biting the line 6 inches above the water! They were ravenous.
Headed back inside for a break and dropped a bait near Drews Jetty, pulled this fat beast up but didn't keep it, took a pic and returned it. Some sort of Rock Cod, have not been able to match it to an exact species yet, maybe someone here knows?
2017-02-11 15.33.09.jpg
Lakes Entrance Rocky

SambOz

Post by SambOz » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:37 pm

Interesting re small Couta and Octopus off Lakes, we were off Conran in the 2nd week of January, plenty of the same
there. Octo' were prolific with the odd squid !

The small Couta, fillet off ea. side as good a bait for Gummies and Flatties you will ever get.

Heavily salted (frozen OK) Salmon toughens up and stays on the hook is a good bait for them too.

We caught good feeds of Flatty and three Gummies over the five days offshore.

Run out tide seemed best.

Agree re Flatties V Pinkies :-D

SambOz

Post by SambOz » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:41 pm

Re biting line, son had multi coloured line, got bitten off where it was blue average once or twice a day.

Caught one small Couta when it swallowed the entire sinker which came out of the gill cover and another conventional
one for a double header.

Must be a day for 1st posters Kingo.

ps Don't know the fish, sorry K.

bilby

Post by bilby » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:48 pm

The fat fish above appear to be a Wirra. Unusual for Gippsland ... but there you go.

kingo9999

Post by kingo9999 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:14 pm

Hi samboz, yeah thought I'd better stop lurking and start contributing. Funny about the couta, i was using blue line also when they were jumping out after it.

Thanks Bilby, just did some research after seeing your post and it does look exactly like an Eastern Wirrah. Normally found in NSW but do come down to Vic and also Tassie. Apparently dont taste too good so i'm happy i let it go. Cheers!

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Post by re-tyred » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:33 pm

It is a wirra and they are often around the rocks inside the entrance. Summer only and when there is very little fresh water around.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”