Lakes Entrance/Lake Tyers Jan 22-26

ecoronad
Has liked: 1 time

Lakes Entrance/Lake Tyers Jan 22-26

Post by ecoronad » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:18 pm

I know this report is a couple of weeks late, but as they say, better late than never.

My missus managed to score a good deal for accommodation in Lakes Entrance for four nights from Sunday 22nd Jan to Thursday 26th, staying in a one bedroom apartment at the Heyfield Motel and Apartments complex. This was going to be a family/fishing/prawning break . And so I sneakily stuck the yak onto the roof of the Challenger.

We arrived at our accommodation just after 3pm after a relaxed drive from Melbourne, quickly unloading the gear and having a wander around town for ice cream and the local bait shops. After enquiring at one of the tackle stores about the fishing, I was a little bit underwhelmed. “Small trevally, pinkies and scad at the footbridge, whilst one of the so called locals did not even sight a prawn at Lake Tyers the night before” was the fishing report. Not good.
Anyway, given the weather forecast, I knew I had to make the most of the light winds on the first (Sunday) night and first morning(Monday) – so there was going to be no sleeping in unfortunately for me. I did a solo trip to the mouth of Lake Tyers for the prawns on Sunday night resulting in over 40 prawns with most being bait sized with the odd good sized one mixed in. They cooked up really well when I got back to the apartment that night. I kept a few for bait.
20170122_233617.jpg
Lake Tyers prawns Sunday night
20170122_233727.jpg
A couple of good sized ones from Lake Tyers
The next morning (Monday), I launched the yak into Lake Tyers at Mill Point at around 7.30am. I trolled from the launch into the main lake with a couple of lures just in case there was some tailor around. It was beautiful morning with only a light easterly breeze, perfect for drifting and casting with lures.
20170123_065318.jpg
Launching at Mill Point
So after I reached the main lake I decided to put away the trolling lures and started casting out some strike pro metal ciber vibes. Not long after, I managed the first fish for the trip, a nice 30cm bream. After taking the customary photos, I decided to keep him for dinner – so into the keeper net he went. Next cast, resulted in a 29cm bream – almost a carbon copy of the first. Great, I thought, two more and the kids will have their dinner sorted as well.
20170123_084759.jpg
First fish 30cm bream on strike pro cyber vibe
20170123_085547.jpg
29cm bream
After 30 minutes of casting and no further fish with only the odd bump from a possible flathead, I spied some sizeable splashes towards the entrance to Fisherman’s Landing arm. Previously, most of the bust ups that I’d seen were further towards the glasshouse area, but this one was within an easy paddling distance away. I quickly replaced the vibe with a 15g lazer and paddled off to chase the tailor. First cast, resulted in an instant hook up. After a spirited fight, the tailor was soon yak side. I reached over to grab the net and he took one last dive and he was gone. Damn!

The tailor were balling up the bait and forcing them to the surface - similar to the way humpback whales ball up krill and bait fish and launch into them from down below. Quite often you would see the tailor jump clear of the water or baitfish jumping out of the water to escape the tailor. But once the baitfish broke up, the tailor would swim back down to wait for the baitfish to school up again.

Over the next 45minutes, I would wait for the fish to come to the surface, paddle to the school and cast. I would get the occasional hit before they would go down again. Certainly wasn’t easy. But finally, I managed to get one to stick, but about 10seconds later – nothing. It had bitten through my leader. The heaviest leader I had with me was 16lb (accidently left my 30lb at home). So I quickly double uni knotted a 20cm length to my existing 10lb leader and attached a longer 25g laser to it. Finally on the 3rd bust up, I managed to snag one and wound in like hell to net a nice 34cm tailor. This proved to be the last of the tailor as the clouds disappeared so did the tailor. So, I started paddling back to the launch site, but not before adding a 36cm flathead to the keeper net. Perfect, I thought to myself. Enough for a feed.
20170123_094930.jpg
34cm Tailor
20170125_082119.jpg
36cm Flathead
Monday (second) night I had my son with me who wanted to come out to do some prawning as well. I also wanted him to test out the waders my sister bought for him back in the UK last year. But unfortunately the predicted 20knot easterlies had kicked in. Reluctantly, we drove over to Lake Tyers beach to see an empty carpark apart from a lone motorhome and a very windy lake. This was going to be difficult for me, let alone an 8yr old. So I decided to head back to Lakes Entrance. But, before going back to the apartment, I decided to check out Bullock island, a place that also holds some prawns. When I saw some lights wandering around the water, I decided to give it a try despite the windy conditions. The windy conditions made it really hard to spot the prawns – as for those of you who know, the orange light which reflected from their eyes when you shine on them was being broken up by the waves. But I still managed to secure about a dozen good sized ones before helping my son for about an hour and a half to catch his first ever prawn. He was tired but happy.
20170125_002023.jpg
My son's first prawn
20170125_015019.jpg
Yummy prawns
Tuesday (second) morning, took the yak out to an incredibly windy lake tyers. My only option was to bait fish, so I paddled over to where I got the bream the day before hoping to find them again. But 10 minutes into my paddle, my battery for the sounder died – so I was fishing blind. At least I know how long my battery lasts between charge. Approximately 16 hours. I put the anchor out and set a berley trail. Unfortunately my baits were depleted by tiny pinkies of about 20cm. After a couple of hours, I decided to head back in.

Unfortunately that (third) night the wind continued and so I decided to give the prawns a break and give the footbridge a go. Almost a bite a cast, but unfortunately, the trevally, the pinkies and the scads were all about 20-25cm. After about an hour, I gave up.

Wednesday (third) morning would be the last for the yak as we had to check out by 10am on the Thursday. So, I decided to have a crack at the flathead using larger plastics. After about an hour I’d managed a couple of smallish flathead to about 40cm. Nothing massive, but it was good fun. Then, the tailor showed up. So I chased them for another hour catching one and dropping several others. Pretty sure I would have landed more on soft plastics, but I also know I would have been bitten off several times.

Wednesday (fourth) night was going to be the last night, so my son and I decided to give Bullock Island one last try. After a couple of hours of prawning we managed a respectable bag of about 26 good sized prawns. A great and tasty way to end the fishing/prawning component of our trip.
20170125_233545.jpg
Bullock Island prawns

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Re: Lakes Entrance/Lake Tyers Jan 22-26

Post by Nude up » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:44 am

some nice prawns there its a great part of the world lakes entrance .

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:46 am

Its a great place to fish and prawn

azkay

Post by azkay » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:16 am

Sounds like a great trip, time well spent with the little one too.. Thanks for the report :)
Az.

Weedle

Post by Weedle » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:28 am

Great write up, mate.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:18 am

Top report mate with some great pics! :thumbsup: