Paynesville / Raymond Island prawning/crabbing?

tbcha1
Has liked: 12 times

Paynesville / Raymond Island prawning/crabbing?

Post by tbcha1 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:08 am

hi
just wondering if theres prawns and crabs down that way?
bring alot of crap down so wont bring my lights nets and crab net if there isnt and just the rods!
also any fishing spots / tips for raymond island would be great! will be down there for 4 days from this coming Monday.
everyone is saying go to the jetty but looking on google map of the island the bottom left where
theres a bit thins and sticks out looks like a nice sandy area where i might get some flatties?
anyways tips or none if anyones interested ill post back a fishing report if post is dead i guess not :rofl:
thanks in advance!

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Re: Paynesville / Raymond Island prawning/crabbing?

Post by skronkman » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:45 am

The South eastern beaches on Raymond have prawns. I've only caught little ones though and you'll need a very still night without wind, it picks up the on shore breeze there often.

If you walk any of the jetties and drop unweighted prawns down by the pylons and under the boats you have a good chance on bream.

Soft plastics in the shallows in the sunny afternoons into the Sandy holes between weed beds for flatties works in other parts of the lake but never tried off Raymond island.

Good luck

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:59 am

Small circle hooks with small pieces of Unweighted prawn off any of the pontoons. Drop down coils of slack line on the surface as it falls. When it starts taking off set the hooks.

All jetties there hold bream.

As for prawning. I've done it there but not in any numbers or size. Trip to lakes?.

tbcha1

Post by tbcha1 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:16 am

thanks for the tips guys
i prefer not to get off the island as its more of a family trip not a fishing :(
so only time ill be fishing is like 6am till 9am
and maybe a night prawning/crabbing
might just bring a net and see if the jetties hold any crabs

tbcha1

Post by tbcha1 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:28 pm

Fishing was hard. I tried the jetty at start with no luck only a small pinky so didn't bother again till later. Fished 3 times at that point for 2 big bites but no hook up. Was locked out of the house on the last night bc everyone went for a walk one night so I tried the jetty again. Saw heaps of big bream under a boat. Chucked a few freebie prawns down for the fish. Then chucked a light weight jig head with a prawn and caught a huge fat one. No tape measure but atleast 45cm. Came same spot next morning before we left the island and got another at around 35cm. Those 2 fish made the 8hr drive and 4 day trip worth while :)
Forgot to add both fish were released

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:47 pm

Occasionally this time of year a few schools of rat kingfish show up. Haven't fished for them there myself but my uncle lives there and has told me about them.

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”