Inverloch 27-8-16 (Salmon)

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Inverloch 27-8-16 (Salmon)

Post by mazman » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:01 pm

Hey guys,
On Saturday Niroj, Danny and I ventured down to Inverloch to get our salmon fix seeing as the local back beaches hadn’t really produced anything this year. We arrived as the sun was rising on a cold winter’s morning, Danny not wasting anytime waded straight out into the water and begun casting.
Only 3 casts in niroj got a hit, no hook up ensued but it had us all itching for some action. I fired my next cast out near where Niroj got the hit and before I had done a full revolution of the handle I was on. Niroj and Danny quickly cast to the same area and we had a triple hook up, the salmon fought well in the strong current and we thought they were much larger than they were. Having caught a decent salmon for the competition we are in Niroj and I quickly changed to surface lures to make the most of the school however this didn’t really work in our favour as the next half an hour remained fishless. A quick change back to metals and we started getting hits but only when we allowed the lure to sink a little bit before retrieving slowed the retrieve down a little bit. The salmon weren’t very thick and seemed to be thinning out as the day wore on but we had landed 5 between us with a few dropped fish as well by 7 am. With the Salmon in a finicky mood I changed over to one of Danny’s stickbaits and it only took a few casts to come up with another salmon.
We kept casting to not much avail, before pulling the pin and moving closer to the mouth, it was here we had a few hook ups that have still got us stumped. We had changed over to long cast vibes and hooked and dropped two fish that had a fair amount of weight but weren’t taking any line, originally we thought they were flathead until we got a pair of scales back from one of the fish and they were silver with ridges running along them (really wish I took a photo of them). We didn’t manage to land anything here but the soft sand and a couple of hits kept us on our toes until it was time to go.
Cheers Alex
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”